Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlady_gw

How do I get the crud off ...

Greenlady
19 years ago

My enameled frying pan has that black crud build up on the bottom , and I'd like to clean it off. Soaking it in baking soda and water hasn't helped, and I don't want to use anything harsh like oven cleaner.

Any suggestions? I don't think it hurts the cooking ability, but it looks awful.

Comments (13)

• nelles_gw
    19 years ago

Try the new Dawn Power Dissolver. It's a spray-on cleaner, available in grocery stores near the dish detergent stuff. I used it to clean my gas bbq grill & they came out great!

HTH,
    Ellen

• Greenlady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Ellen!! I use Dawn dish soap, so that sounds like a good product. I hate for the enamel to be a lovely blue in the inside of the pan, and a nasty crust outside. I am going to the store on Friday, so I'll pick up some then.

• Baumer
    19 years ago

If you but in bag with ammonia in it. Let sit over night-will be clean in the am. I do this to oven racks to self-cleaning oven.

• Greenlady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, I never thought of ammonia .... The Dawn stuff got most of it off, but there is still some really heavy crud on the bottom. I will try the ammonia trick on that.

• Lynne_SJO
    19 years ago

Le Creuset also has their own brand label for a product for cleaning their enameled cast-iron pans. It works pretty good on mine, not getting all the black off, but most of it. It is non-abrasive, cleaning by chemical action. I got mine at Sur Le Table.

Lynne

• Greenlady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I haven't had a chance to try the ammonia (company with kids), but I will look for the Le Creuset stuff. There are some upscale gourmet equipment stores here, and I'll see if they have it.

• smom40
    19 years ago

I don't know about enamel, but if you want to watch copper glow, use vinegar and salt. Make a paste and it's fab. Black crud, gone!

I'd try it if this was my own pan, but I can't vouch what it would do to an expensive enamel pan, so do this at your own risk.

• lindac
    19 years ago

Vinegar and salt won't do a thing for burnt on grease....you can use oven cleaner...not the heavy duty stuff. It may dull the finish....but it's better than black.
    Lidna C

• sheilajoyce_gw
    19 years ago

Soak in a little warm water and Cascade dishwasher detergent.

• Greenlady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, good thing I came back to check. So far I haven't had a chance to try the ammonia thing, but I did try baking soda and vinegar, and got more of it off. Maybe if I try all these suggestions (not all at once, of course), I'll end up with a clean pan. I have some Cascade dishwasher detergent left over from the days when I had a dishwasher. I will try that one next. Thanks!!!!

• Purple_Jade
    19 years ago

Did you try making a paste out of baking soda and scrubbing with that? It won't hurt your pan and I've found it takes almost anything off of almost any hard surface if you use it as a thick paste.
    I also read on the HGTV site recently how you can boil a pot that has burnt on food in a bigger pot, i think with vinegar and salt in the water as well, for 30 min. at least.
    I recently threw away a pot I thought was ruined, wish I knew about this before, might have saved my pot!

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

:) a sheet of Bounce in a tray of water, soak overnight-

I didn't believe my mother in law the firs time she told me that...

then I burnt something on my vintage swedish enamel casserole.

• Greenlady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bounce? I'll see if they have that here. Everything that has been suggested has helped a little, but it still looks awful. :-( Enough suggestions and I might have a clean pan eventually. ;-)