Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tung oil spot on upholstery ...

Posted by estreya (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 18:18

Hello, cleaning experts ...

The guy who installed my new floors got two drops of tung oil (which he was using to repair some scratches he'd made) on the upholstery of quite probably the finest piece of furniture i own. What can i do to get it out?

He immediately ran for his denatured alcohol, and before i could stop him, he tried to wipe the stain. It did no harm, but it also did no good.

He's gone, and i've been on my hands and knees with dove dish soap and hot water for three hours now, blotting my little heart out.

It's just not coming out.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tung oil spot on upholstery ...

Contact a paint and stain store ~ you will be surprised how helpful they can be about things like this.

Barbara

o
RE: Tung oil spot on upholstery ...

What's the fabric? Alcohol won't dissolve it....mineral spirits ( paint thinner) will...but perhaps not when it's dry.
I suspect his liability insurance will have to pay for re upholstering.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here