Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning linolium?

Posted by majax79 (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 16:59

Hello,

I have a tiny entrance, a small kitchen, and a decent size bathroom that are all linolium. I'm sick of using a mop. What other store product could I try to mop with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning linolium?

I use a Swiffer WetJet with their all-purpose cleaner. Works fine for me.

o

I use the original swiffer mop, and attach a washcloth to it. Spray-bottle of your cleaner of choice. Done. Throw the washcloth into the wash. Have several washcloths on-hand so you don't have to be a slave to a single washcloth and laundry schedules.

A standard size face washcloth fits perfect onto the swiffer mop. I've never spent a penny on any swiffer products except the mop itself.

Any tough scrubbing spots, I just address as-needed on my hands & knees. Not a big deal in a small space, and there are always spots one would have to address on hands and knees here & there anyway.

o

I agree with the Swiffer idea but I use a thin micro-fiber cloth on it and clean with just water. It is non-toxic, fast, and very effective.

It will also pick up 99% of the bacteria which I find helpful. I don't use any commercial cleaners ever and my house is spotless.

If it is really dirty try using some Oxy-clean or washing soda because both of those are safe for the environment and are related to baking soda.

Cheers!

o

Is your floor made of real linoleum, which is a natural product -

"Genuine linoleum, not to be confused with vinyl, is a classic, invented nearly 150 years ago and still completely relevant today. Environmentally preferred linoleum is made from natural, raw materials. Linseed oil, which comes from the flax plant, is the primary ingredient. (In Latin, linum is the word for linseed and oleum means oil.) Other ingredients include wood or cork powder, resins and ground limestone. Mineral pigments provide the rich colors. The ingredients are mixed together, then rolled out between two cylinders (a process called "calendaring") onto a jute backing. The linoleum is then cured in ovens for 14 to 21 days. Some manufacturers bond a high performance coating to the surface to improve the floors ability to resist stains and scratches, and to make cleaning easier"

or is it vinyl?

Here is a link that might be useful: Linoleum info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here