Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I get rid of rust stains?

Posted by zackey (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 16:50

We have rust stains in our toilets, sink and bathtubs. I've tried all the commercial products and bleach. Nothing works. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I get rid of rust stains?

Pumice stone works well on toilets

o

I heard that before. I don't think I want to put my face that close to the toilet.

o

I've used powdered Bar Keeper's Friend to get rust stains out of things, though not a toilet. It's worth a try to sprinkle some in, let it set, swish/scrub with toilet brush, then see if that works.

o

The very best thing that I have found is a really cheap toilet bowl cleaner I've only seen at Walmart. Its called "The Works." When we moved into our lake cabin, all the fixtures had rust stains. Using this cleaner and a long handled toilet bowl scrubber ( the kind that has a scrubbie pad) over a period of a couple weeks I was able to remove every bit of the rust stain. It will slowly dissolve the stain and make it smaller as you repeatedly use it. I think I probably used it every other day and left it in the bowl for about fifteen minutes after I squirted "The Works" around the rim and bowl sides. Do keep your ventilation on as this can have an overpowering odor.

o

Did you try Whink? It is sold in most supermarkets or Amazon. I have never known it to fail me in removing rust stains. I think you might need to remove the water from the toilet first. You can probably use your toilet bowl scrubber to scrub after squirting the Whink directly on the rust stain. Use a rag for the sink. You do not need to use a lot of the product. You apply it directly and do not dilute it. Make sure you rinse well after cleaning. Good Luck.

o

yep! Whink has always worked for me on fabric, concrete, bathrooms, has strong fumes but can be done quickly since it works immediatly in front of your eyes

o

And Whink has a link to MSDB. It contains Denatonium making it almost impossible to inadvertently incest ingest the stuff.

This post was edited by albert_135 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 13:47

o

Rust stain is a big problem that I have lived with for many years until I found a product called Rust Out. I found it at Walmart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here