Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood Kitchen Floors

Posted by BluegrassJen (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 15:33

Hello,
We have hardwood floors in our kitchen. I used to be able to clean them just fine with a Swiffer Wet Jet. But then we had a dishwasher leak and replaced them with more hardwood floors (HUGE mistake). These cannot be cleaned with a Swiffer Wet Jet because it leaves a sticky residue, so I started cleaning them with vinegar and water. But my mop left too much water on the floor no matter how much I wrung it out, so I have started cleaning it on my hands and knees with a bucket of vinegar water and a microfiber cloth. I'm sure you can't beat that method for actual cleaning, but there has GOT to be an easier way. I can't use the popular hardwood floor cleaners because this is my KITCHEN, and I have two small children, one of whom is in a high chair. In other words, this floor gets DIRTY, so dusting it and buffing it to shine is not going to cut it. Any suggestions on how I can do this without it taking an hour and breaking my back?? Thanks!!
- Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood Kitchen Floors

I can use an ordinary Swiffer with a microfiber cloth attached to the little plugs on top. I can wet the cloth with whatever cleaner I need. Usually just water but I have added a little dish detergent like Dawn too. Just rinse well. The instructions that came with our engineered hardwood said just dry wiping, but that is a joke. Who never gets water on a floor in a kitchen?

o

I do the ordinary Swiffer which is my only purchase of that kind. What can I say I had a weak moment. I just slip a worn old wet wash cloth in the holes instead of those expensive pieces of paper and mop it. I had 2 kids and it didn't get nasty, water took care of the problem. If for some reason I thought it needed more I use dish washing liquid and then rinsed it. No big deal.

o

The Rubbermaid Reveal mop works well for me and the bottle can be filled with any cleaning solution or anything else you choose (I use water and vinegar). Extra cleaning cloths are available, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here