Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Modified Swiffer Wet Jet

Posted by ebear1271 (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 14:53

I thought this was a pretty handy, and economical, tip I picked up in the comments section on Amazon. I wanted to try the Swiffer Wet Jet but I didn't want to have to keep buying disposable pads. I don't use toxic cleaners so that pretty much wiped out the cleaning solution that comes with the Wet Jet. The tip on Amazon said you could actually get the lid off of the cleaning solution container if you gently use a pair of pliers. I tried it and voila! it worked. Now I put my own cleaner in the container and I went out and bought some washable microfiber mop pads that attach to velcro. It's so easy to use that I've been mopping the kitchen floor every day (with 5 people and 2 dogs in the house it really needs it!).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Modified Swiffer Wet Jet

Wow-great ideas! I had heard about opening the WetJet cleaning solution bottle, but never knew anyone who actually DID IT. I love my Swiffer WetJet but I don't love the price of buying new pads and bottles of cleaning liquid. This should work for me.

o

I have been using my own solution in the WetJet for about a year. Here is the recipe that I have been using:

Swiffer Refill-33 ounces

1. Soften lid with hot water - 30 to 45 seconds
2. Use pliers to lightly squeeze the base of the lid (not the upper part) as you twist it off. You will then see the teeth on the inside that "prevent" you from refilling it yourself.
3. Refill with solution below:

• 2 tablespoons of ammonia
• 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol
• 1/2 teaspoon of dish soap
• 28 ounces water

o

I'll have to try getting the *&@*% lid off again. Alot easier than what I've been doing. I tried unsuccessfully couple years ago....I've been re-filling it with a 50cc syringe !!! I keep one refill with vinegar mix for tile floors, one with Murphys wood cleaner and one with Fabuloso.

o

flalady, what percentage of water/Murphy's do you use? That's a great idea but I don't want to leave a film on the floors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here