Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roof stain removal

Posted by sunroomguy (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 14:24

the dimensional asphalt shingles on the north side of our home has unsightly dark stains. another adjacient area has a small amount of moss starting. there are no trees around. i've tried tsp, bleach and other solutions unsuccessfully. does anyone know a product that really works? thanx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roof stain removal

I don't remember details, hope someone else does on this, but I've heard strips of aluminum will deter moss from growing on your roof. Anyone ?

o

We bought some 50 ft. rolls of metallic zinc a few years ago, but haven't had time to get up there and put it on. The rolls are about 2 1/2 inches wide. I understand the theory is that the zinc is supposed to be put in up near the roof peaks and rain water is supposed to spread some zinc down across the roof and deter moss from growing. We obviously don't know if the stuff really works; maybe we were just gullible when we bought it. After paying to have the roof pressure-washed, we were hoping for a less costly solution. It's zinc, though, rather than aluminum (unless aluminum also works, too).

o

An Internet search of the problem suggests that you can take care of the problem by using sodium percarbonate (the main ingredient in OxyClean) to clean your roof;see the link at the bottom.

Here are other examples of this technique:

Roof Cleaner OX

See these articles for:
Why your roof stains,how to clean and using metal flashing strips to eliminate it
Flashings Solve the Problem

I have not tried any of these solutions,since my roof does not have this problem (thankfully.) But,if my roof does develop a staining or algae problem,I will use the techniques suggested in these articles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sodium percarbonate uses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here