Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smooth-top electric cooktop

Posted by rrah (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:14

We are staying at a family members vacation place. They have a smoothtop electric stove/range. We do not use an electric range at home so this is new to us.

My spouse, not knowing the top was still warm, used a regular type dish cloth to wipe up a couple of spills on the cook top. In one area, it's left a whitish type stain. We don't want to do further damage, but how do we remove this "stain."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smooth-top electric cooktop

Try a little white vinegar and see if that helps.

o

I've only used Weiman Glass Cook Top Heavy Duty Cleaner & Polish (squeeze top bottle not a spray) on mine, the former owner of the house left a bottle here for me. Stove was 5 yrs old then, I've been here 18 months and not a mark anyplace. Are there no stove top cleaners tucked away somewhere in this vacation house, if not under the sink, in a utility closet with cleaning supplies?

Not expensive and I can find it at just about any grocery store.

o

Thanks for the responses. Tucked away in the back corner of a cabinet I found a little bottle of a cleaner and a razor type scraper for the stove top. A little elbow grease and the scraper was all I needed.

o

Oh great, now you can leave the house the way you found it, and I'm sure feel much more comfortable.

One thing I learned quickly with this one, the outside of the cookware needs to be as flawlessly clean as the inside, no cooking or dish soap residues on the bottoms of pans - or the spots transfer right to the stove top, require cleanup. It's not a stove I would have chosen myself but I checked and its a $2000 range - combination convection oven w/downdraft -, so I'm dealing with it ;)

o

You have to remove these stain mark very carefully because glass stove scratch very easily, clean the stove when you are not using these, remove the thick burned area with a dull butter knife, make a thick paste of baking soda and stir it, rub the paste of baking soda from burn area and allow to remove the stain by brushing it with sponge from 10- 15 min.

o

Buy a cleaner made for that. It has taken off every thing that I have burned on without scrubbing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here