Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canister Steam Cleaner?

Posted by mthouse (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 13:46

I am looking into purchasing a steam cleaner and hope that some of you can help me, please!!

I have been looking at the shark portable steamer and also the shark steam mop. What I would really like to find is one product that is like a canister-type with a floor attachment and a hand-held attachment.

I would like to use it to clean my cork floors, tile shower, acryllic tub & shower, and to clean/sanitize various baby gear (swing, stroller, etc.) before my next baby is born.

Any reccomendations would be very much appreciated. I am willing to spend some money to get something that will work well for what I want it to do, but hate to spend that much money on 2 products if there is something else that would work better. Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canister Steam Cleaner?

I have the portable pocket steamer. Since my kitchen is small, I just get down on my knees and steam-clean the hardwood. There are sometimes parts that needed wiping up after steaming which I do with a clean microfiber cloth. Cleaning a floor is not a difficult job if you have a good back, a pitcher of water handy and do small sections at a time. And... if you are clear on not wanting to use chemicals. So, I think the portable steam cleaner can do floors but not vice versa, mop-wise. However, they cleverly don't include a mop wand with the portable pocket cleaner, so grovelling on the floor (or having your kids/ spouse/ maid do it) is the only way.

o
RE: Canister Steam Cleaner? -- more

One more thing about the steam pocket hand-held. I haven't tried this yet but possibly with relatively minimal bending you could use the steamer without the attachments to 'blast' it with steam, then simply use a microfiber mop to wipe it. I have a swiffer wet-jet on which I velcro a microfiber floor cloth. I do the same with my flimsy swiffer floor duster thing, which has holes to grasp the cloth on the top of the head.

o

Simply put, you want a canister steam cleaner. You can buy them at all price points. You can get a Wagner steam cleaner for $80 or a high end Italian-made version costing a few hundred dollars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wagner

o

I have the shark canister. It does a fair job. I would give it 7 out of 10. Not for really tough jobs but great for everyday cleaning. The one problem I have found is that it's so much like a canister vacuum that you want to pull it by the hose as you clean. Not a good idea. You have to pick it up to move it. Mine is probably going to die soon because I pulled it by the hose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here