Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beaded prom dress

Posted by Sylvia (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 04 at 12:27

Dd bought herself a beautiful 100% polyester hand beaded dress for prom and looked gorgeous in it on Saturday. Now it has a little b.o. and some wrinkles from wearing; she wants to wear it for a singing solo on Friday and I was going to take it to the cleaners but the label says "do not dry clean, hand spot with cold water".

So what do I do? It doesn't have spots. I can steam out the wrinkles but what about the b.o.? Any ideas?

Think I could just give it a cold water soak, rub around the armholes a bit, rinse drip dry and then steam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beaded prom dress

Sylvia,
I think I would just pat on a bit of baking soda where the odor is...let it set overnight and then gently brush it off. The wrinkles should come out with a gentle steaming. If you could hang it in semi/sunshine for a few hours, it would take the odor out, too...HOWEVER, you have to watch out for the birdie decorating committee!!!:o)

o

thank you Jaybird! I will try that.

(you should come by and see that stray cat and how well she has adapted - sleek and happy, still a little skittish of strangers though)

o

Fabrize!
Linda C

o

Well, I ended up using both of your suggestions. Did the baking soda and set it in the closet for a few days, brushed it off this morning and hung it outside (under the roof eave to protect from grackles), sprayed with febreeze. It seems pretty "clean" now.

I did some spot cleaning on the front bottom of the dress and now I really don't see why I couldn't water/soap soak it. It didn't water spot at all.

Will go buy dress shields before she wears it again. Thanks for your help.

o

Sylvia - I'll be thinking of you and DD tomorrow night! Don't forget to bring a tissue:)

o

Thanks woodie. She sang "Nearness of You" and yeah, she made me cry. Got a huge round of applause. The teacher choreographed the piece so she was center stage, gave her a dummy mike to work with, long white gloves (very elegant), and in the spotlight with dim lights on the rest of the stage which was set like a nightclub with some tables and chairs. About a verse into the song the other choir members (clubgoers) started asking each other to dance, soon she had a dance floor of romantic couples behind her. It was lovely.

Now I need to clean the dress *again*. LOL

o

Yaayyyyy for your daughter....I thought about her the 21st!! Aren't you always sooooooooooo proud to say "Hey, that's MY kid"!!! Blessings to you both!

PS: I would have teared up too!

o

polyester can be washed in water without ill effect. Acetate can't, and rayon usually can't.

My DD had a cute beaded dress of 100% polyester w/ a "dry clean only" label. But the dry cleaner warned that the plastic BEADS might dissolve in the dry-cleaning solution.

So I washed it on gentle, putting it in a net bag and turning it inside out first. I air-dried it.

It was perfectly fine.

Polyester is pretty tough. I would think it's the beading that's most at risk, and gentle handling would be the ticket there.

o

Or the thread holding the beading--if it is cotton, the thread could shrink.

o

would the cotton thread shrink in cold-water wash, line dry?

o
Prom Dresses Under 100 Home

Every one likes to look great in prom dress. We need to be choosy while selecting the prom dress. What kind of color suits our skin and what size matches our body and other things. There are many online stores which provide us variety of prom dresses which comes under 100$.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prom Dresses Under 100 Home

o

Girls,

just found out a cool website to shop for prom dresses
http://www.dressmadeinchina.com

I'm currently in contact by email with them, just ordered 1 beautiful dress too..the price is $190 only.
cant wait to see my new dress.

o

Congratulations on your DD's performance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here