Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylvia_tx

beaded prom dress

Sylvia
19 years ago

Dd bought herself a beautiful 100% polyester hand beaded dress for prom and looked gorgeous in it on Saturday. Now it has a little b.o. and some wrinkles from wearing; she wants to wear it for a singing solo on Friday and I was going to take it to the cleaners but the label says "do not dry clean, hand spot with cold water".

So what do I do? It doesn't have spots. I can steam out the wrinkles but what about the b.o.? Any ideas?

Think I could just give it a cold water soak, rub around the armholes a bit, rinse drip dry and then steam?

Comments (13)

• jaybird
    19 years ago

Sylvia,
    I think I would just pat on a bit of baking soda where the odor is...let it set overnight and then gently brush it off. The wrinkles should come out with a gentle steaming. If you could hang it in semi/sunshine for a few hours, it would take the odor out, too...HOWEVER, you have to watch out for the birdie decorating committee!!!:o)

• Sylvia
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thank you Jaybird! I will try that.

(you should come by and see that stray cat and how well she has adapted - sleek and happy, still a little skittish of strangers though)

• lindac
    19 years ago

Fabrize!
    Linda C

• Sylvia
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I ended up using both of your suggestions. Did the baking soda and set it in the closet for a few days, brushed it off this morning and hung it outside (under the roof eave to protect from grackles), sprayed with febreeze. It seems pretty "clean" now.

I did some spot cleaning on the front bottom of the dress and now I really don't see why I couldn't water/soap soak it. It didn't water spot at all.

Will go buy dress shields before she wears it again. Thanks for your help.

• woodie
    19 years ago

Sylvia - I'll be thinking of you and DD tomorrow night! Don't forget to bring a tissue:)

• Sylvia
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks woodie. She sang "Nearness of You" and yeah, she made me cry. Got a huge round of applause. The teacher choreographed the piece so she was center stage, gave her a dummy mike to work with, long white gloves (very elegant), and in the spotlight with dim lights on the rest of the stage which was set like a nightclub with some tables and chairs. About a verse into the song the other choir members (clubgoers) started asking each other to dance, soon she had a dance floor of romantic couples behind her. It was lovely.

Now I need to clean the dress *again*. LOL

• jaybird
    19 years ago

Yaayyyyy for your daughter....I thought about her the 21st!! Aren't you always sooooooooooo proud to say "Hey, that's MY kid"!!! Blessings to you both!

PS: I would have teared up too!

• talley_sue_nyc
    19 years ago

polyester can be washed in water without ill effect. Acetate can't, and rayon usually can't.

My DD had a cute beaded dress of 100% polyester w/ a "dry clean only" label. But the dry cleaner warned that the plastic BEADS might dissolve in the dry-cleaning solution.

So I washed it on gentle, putting it in a net bag and turning it inside out first. I air-dried it.

It was perfectly fine.

Polyester is pretty tough. I would think it's the beading that's most at risk, and gentle handling would be the ticket there.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    19 years ago

Or the thread holding the beading--if it is cotton, the thread could shrink.

• talley_sue_nyc
    19 years ago

would the cotton thread shrink in cold-water wash, line dry?

• Johnkennedy06_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Every one likes to look great in prom dress. We need to be choosy while selecting the prom dress. What kind of color suits our skin and what size matches our body and other things. There are many online stores which provide us variety of prom dresses which comes under 100$.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prom Dresses Under 100 Home

• dressmadeinchina_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Girls,

just found out a cool website to shop for prom dresses
    http://www.dressmadeinchina.com

I'm currently in contact by email with them, just ordered 1 beautiful dress too..the price is $190 only.
    cant wait to see my new dress.

• jannie
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your DD's performance.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler