Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smudged Dark Cherry Headboard

Posted by pauline13 (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 12:16

My husband is forever placing his forearm or the back of his head on our dark cherry headboard. Even though he doesn't use any hair products, the body oils have created a large dull smudge on his side of the headboard. How can I get this off and keep it clean (cooperation from hubby is not an option)? I bought some Murphy Oil Soap for furniture, but it only seemed to make a bigger smudge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smudged Dark Cherry Headboard

OMG! If my husband was a travelling salesman I'd say we need to talk!! I have the exact same problem, cherry wood and all. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing has helped, a couple things have even made it worse. I think the finish is worn off and having the whole headboard redone is the only solution. Hopefully someone out there knows an easier way!

o

Too funny! Hopefully, someone can solve our problem.

o

My DH does the same thing, apparently during his sleep. We have had this dark pine set for 30 years, and the wood stain is GONE in a 4 inch circle on his side of the bed. It is blond, raw wood there, but the natural scalp oils keep it shiney as if it is still varnished. I think the acid in his body oils ate it away. Do some polishing now with Johnson's paste wax and keep replacing that spot to prevent what I have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here