Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning stovetop cast iron grates

Posted by rufinorox (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 12:09

I have cast iron grates on our stove top and I can't seem to get the burn marks out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning stovetop cast iron grates

Mine on mmy gas stove are black iron. When thery get really dirty-greasy, I put them in my dishwasher. Works for me!

o

Put them on you're outside grill on high for a while, it will burn off the gunk build up.

o

I clean houses and many have the cast iron grates on top of the stove. I use a green scrubber with Weiman Stainless Steel cleaner. Give it a scrub here and there and wipe. Never have a problem with them. They'll look great.

o

Just stick them in the dishwasher. All the The grease will come off.Check a website like "appliance repair". If the grates are chipping or rusty, you can buy new ones.

o

mine were black originally, I put them in dishwasher every 2-3 months - just make sure to take them out and dry them well quickly - do not leave in the dishwasher in the moist condition - to prevent rust; in between those 2-3 months I just scrub them lightly with green or blue scrub pad when I clean the stove top surface

o

Don't they rust if you put them in the dishwasher? Doesn't it fade the black color?

o

take them out of the dishwasher as soon as the wash is done, - dont leave them in the washer. Dry them out - air dry, towel or set them in their place and turn all burners on for few minutes. Mine are three years old, still black and no rust

o

Thanks, Jollyrd. I'll try this!

o

have you had a chance to try it and what are your results?

o

mine are cast iron, and i put in the dishwasher by themselves with no soap.
Then take out and dry with a towel as soon as cycle is done

o

For a really deep cleaning, go to any grocery store and buy a bottle of cheap "Sudsy Ammonia". Pour in a non -reactive non-metal container, add the stove grates and let soak overnight. In the morning, all the gunk will slide off. Tjis works for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here