Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rufinorox

cleaning stovetop cast iron grates

rufinorox
13 years ago

I have cast iron grates on our stove top and I can't seem to get the burn marks out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (11)

• jannie
    13 years ago

Mine on mmy gas stove are black iron. When thery get really dirty-greasy, I put them in my dishwasher. Works for me!

• maid_o_cliff
    13 years ago

Put them on you're outside grill on high for a while, it will burn off the gunk build up.

• franci37
    13 years ago

I clean houses and many have the cast iron grates on top of the stove. I use a green scrubber with Weiman Stainless Steel cleaner. Give it a scrub here and there and wipe. Never have a problem with them. They'll look great.

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

mine were black originally, I put them in dishwasher every 2-3 months - just make sure to take them out and dry them well quickly - do not leave in the dishwasher in the moist condition - to prevent rust; in between those 2-3 months I just scrub them lightly with green or blue scrub pad when I clean the stove top surface

• blairgirl
    13 years ago

Don't they rust if you put them in the dishwasher? Doesn't it fade the black color?

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

take them out of the dishwasher as soon as the wash is done, - dont leave them in the washer. Dry them out - air dry, towel or set them in their place and turn all burners on for few minutes. Mine are three years old, still black and no rust

• blairgirl
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jollyrd. I'll try this!

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

have you had a chance to try it and what are your results?

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

mine are cast iron, and i put in the dishwasher by themselves with no soap.
    Then take out and dry with a towel as soon as cycle is done

• jannie
    13 years ago

For a really deep cleaning, go to any grocery store and buy a bottle of cheap "Sudsy Ammonia". Pour in a non -reactive non-metal container, add the stove grates and let soak overnight. In the morning, all the gunk will slide off. Tjis works for me.