Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Old Tub Stains

Posted by jessica_likes_herbs (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 11:58

A little background: I'm going to be helping my Nana pack to move to my state in June. Her husband past away, and he was in charge of cleaning his bathroom. He didn't clean the bathtub that often for years, so a hard water stain and probably soap scum stain is set in on the tub.

My Nana asked me if I knew of anything to take off the stain. She's tried Tilex, a commercial cleaner recommended by the realtor, and a pumice like stone designed for cleaning tubs naturely. She's been working on the tub for a while, but has only seen some improvement. She's wanting to try a few more things before she gives up.

I've been searching the net, and will consult books in the library. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Old Tub Stains

Try a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray it on and then sprinkle on baking soda. The vinegar and baking soda react and it might help eat through some of the stains. For normal cleaning I use Bon Ami, which might work also.

o

What material is the tub made of - acrylic? fiberglass? enamel over steel or cast iron?

o

I think the tub is porcelain like her other tub. Next time I talk to her, I'll try to remember to ask.

So far, I've found these options:

Like the poster above said, vinegar and vinegar solutions often came up in my searches. Since this tub has a bad stain, I'm leaning towards the solution described here.
www.howtogetridofstuff.com/stain-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-hard-water-stains/

I remember a show that had bad cleaning problems, so I googled: queen of clean tub stain
I found a google book result that mentioned using powdered alum and lemon juice

I also found recommendations to buy professional descalers at hardware stores.

I don't know how well any of these will work on years of caked on hard water and soap scum stains in the tub. I'm looking for several things to try since I'll be there for a week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here