Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xoxosmom_gw

What am I looking for in a vacuum?

xoxosmom
15 years ago

My vacuum is going out. I only have carpet in the bedrooms everywhere else is tile. I have a bissel bagless upright now. I originally liked that you could clean all the parts and reassemble but I am now leaning towards a canister type vacuum. I do not want to spend alot of money because we don't eat or allow shoes to be worn in the bedrooms. But I do want the most bang for my money. What am I looking for in a vacuum? Thanks for your advice.

Comments (10)

• ebear1271
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would say it all depends on what you want to get out of a vacuum. We have carpet in the great room and bedrooms and I just bought the Miele Capricorn. Definitely high end, but I wanted it for the filtration. With a canister, you will have to change the brush when you move from carpet to regular flooring so that might be a consideration. Only you can say what you are looking for. Is it filtration, ease of use, good suction, how much of an issue is price, do you have pets? If you figure out what you want you could rephrase the question so people are more sure of what they're commenting on. It would be easier to reply if you said that you need certain requirements and ask what others are using.

• lucky51
    15 years ago

things you want to look for in a vacuum are:

Is it repairable?
    Where can it be repaired?

Since you don't have carpet which holds the dust, you will get more dustbunnies and you will stir up more loose dust. Do your lungs a favor and find a vacuum with a good filtration system. It should be HEPA or S Class and more important it should be in a SEALED SYSTEM. One that doesn't leak through the wheels, seals, plug, sides etc., otherwise it is senseless to get a HEPA. Don't buy a bagless vacuum if health is a concern.

Get a good floor brush

Save some money: You don't need a powerhead...a Turbo Brush should be fine for the little amount of carpet you have.

The Miele Antares would be my first choice. (remember Miele Prices are going up very soon) Or A Bosch with a Turbobrush. If you have trouble finding them send me a PM!

• xoxosmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks lucky51 for the recs. Can you or anyone with an opinion look at the Bosch linked below. Would it work for my needs? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the Miele?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch

• lucky51
    15 years ago

I don't get what the hook is on this offer????? The Premium series is the top of the line Bosch Vacs...I don't recognize the Model number at the bottom of the copy. It sounds like TOO good of a deal if you ask me and you should look into it and talk to a person. If indeed you are getting what they describe buy 5 of them!

Ask if a Bosch electric powerhead can be added to it and if so, buy the PH at a Bosch dealer or I could help you. At the very least you can add a turbo brush for your carpeting. Let us know what the deal is...I still think it sounds like you are going to get a lesser model.

• geguymw
    15 years ago

I want to clarify some things. If you have alot of dust related allergies, including dustmites, pollen, etc. then I would suggest that you purchase a vacuum cleaner with really great filtration. If you do not, then you may find more selection in other vacuum cleaner models. It sounds like you do not have major allergies, if you are using a Bissell bagless upright. You do want a vacuum cleaner that will filter well though, since you do not want to be doing alot of dusting. We are very lucky nowadays, in respect to better filtering vacuums, compared to years ago. There are more better-filtering cleaners out there.

"I only have carpet in the bedrooms everywhere else is tile."

My question for you is, do you want somewhat clean carpeting or very clean carpeting? I would hope you would say very clean carpeting. You see, turbo brushes will not clean as well as a power nozzle. Turbo brushes rely on air movement, from the main vacuum, to turn a fan which turns the brushroll. The brushroll cannot be too agressive or it will not turn. Turbo brushes use shorter, softer bristles. The turbo attachment is more suited for delicate rugs like oriental or other very low pile carpeting. Bosch, Miele, Riccer and Simplicity canisters are strong enough to turn the turbo brush, but the turbo attachment is still not aggressive enough to handle the thicker carpeting.

You mentioned the Bosch at Costco. Costco has sold Bosch vacuum cleaners for awhile now. This price is true. Costco can sell at a discount, because they sell to members who pay a yearly fee. Costco also has stores across the U.S. and beyond. They are not one vac shop, selling Bosch and Miele. Costco is not the only retailer that sells this model, so do not worry that you may be getting scammed.

The Bosch premium canisters are very good vacuum cleaners. They are quiet and filter very well. They are easy to use. The swiveling wheels come in handy when you want to push the vacuum to the side. It is a sturdy and reliable series from Bosch. I have more homework for you to do.

Before making the purchase, look at where you will have to take it for repair work under warranty. Look in the phonebook and see if there are any authorized servicers in your area. If there are none, then call some and see if they could repair one that is out of warranty. If it is in warranty, you have to take or send it to an authorized servicer of Bosch vacuum cleaners. This is something to consider. If the vacuum cleaner breaks down, do you want to pack it up and send it off. Look at another thread here regarding sending off the Dyson for repairs. If you are comfortable with this possibility, then go for it.

If you go with the addition of a turbo brush, they are simple to get. You can go to any vac shop and they will have it or they can order it. All you ask for is a turbo brush attachment for Bosch canisters, with 35mm fitting.

What I would suggest, if you purchase this vacuum, is that you try to keep the Bissell upright as long as you can and use it for the carpeted rooms. That way, the rugs will at least be cleaned better.

I have another option too........

• fandlil
    15 years ago

go first to consumer reports to get an idea of prices, features and value. but don't take them as gospel. you stillhave to check out specific machines to find out if they are right for you.

we got a miele a few years ago and are very happy with it. it was more costly than we wanted, but the HEPA filter feature was very important for us. you can get a less expensive machine with HEPA now.

i would look only at machines that have HEPA, and try them out to find one from a reputable manufacturer that i am most comfortable with. stay away from off-brands you never heard of.

• geguymw
    15 years ago

"i would look only at machines that have HEPA, and try them out to find one from a reputable manufacturer that i am most comfortable with."

Look at what you wrote. You are contradicting what even Miele believes and sells. They sell different levels of filtration for their vacuum cleaners.

• xoxosmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

geguymd can you clarify something? "What I would suggest, if you purchase this vacuum, is that you try to keep the Bissell upright as long as you can and use it for the carpeted rooms. That way, the rugs will at least be cleaned better." Does that mean the Bosch won't work well on the carpeting in the bedrooms? I am looking for a vacuum specifically with these rooms in mind.

Thanks for all your help and expertise.

• lucky51
    15 years ago

From the picture (and the price) it seems the Bosch you chose does not have a powerhead. it is suction only and therefore will not give you the brushroll agitation to clean your carpets. This is why I mentioned in an earlier post to ask the salesman (like someone at a box store would know) if a powerhead could be used with that model. Then you could go to a dealer and buy one (LMK if you need help). You could also use a turbo brush if you only have a small amount of carpet.

• geguymw
    15 years ago

xoxosmom, I said that because a suction-only canister is only going to pick up so much. It does not clean deep into the carpeting. The regular combination nozzle is only going to clean on the surface. It is also going to leave more hair behind. A turbo brush is going to do better, but it is still not going to clean as well as a good power nozzle with an agressive brushroll. Turbo brush attachments are made for very short rugs like oriental. Please read my post above for the explanation.

If your Bissell does not have a worn brusroll and has a good belt, then it will clean your carpeting. It is more aggressive than only using suction or a turbo brush attachment. Your Bissell will lack in the area of floor vacuuming and anything above the floor. That is where the Bosch model you referenced would excel.

You never mentioned what kind of carpeting you have in your rooms.