Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msm84

Maytag aqualift self cleaning oven problem

msm84
10 years ago

Has anyone been successful using the "AquaLift" cleaning so many newer stoves come with? I have a new Maytag gas oven and I do love it, but the cleaning cycle just doesn't do much of anything! It does clean the bottom where the heated water is, but not up the walls or top of the oven cavity. With my older self-cleaning oven I would run it every 4-6 months and maybe I waited to long to run the AquaLift cycle on my new (6 months old) stove.

Now what? Do I just leave the burnt on stuff or try one of the spray cleaners even thou it tells you not to. I'm lost at this point...sigh.......

TIA

Comments (32)

• 2storey
    10 years ago

I have the aqualift on my maytag induction stove, I find doing the cleaning regularly, like once week ( I use the oven a lot) is the best way to keep it clean, I give it a good wipe after and it looks good again. If it is really grimey it might take a little elbow grease to get it cleaned up.

• msm84
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Thats what I figured, I have waited to long to run the clean cycle! I'll have to see if some extra elbow grease will help...... I also thought about putting a large pan of water on a rack in the middle and setting the temp up high to cause steam. Might try that to loosen some of the baked on stuff. It works in my dish washer to clean pots so just maybe!

• foobard
    8 years ago

Our oven was a mess. My wife broke a peach pie in the oven while trying to remove it early. There was "stuff" all over the door, the glass, and the raised portion of the oven floor. Aqualift did nothing to clean those places. So we tried again, this time we opened the oven door every five minutes and pored and sprayed water on the stuff. After forty minutes and just a little elbow grease it was clean! I never thought it would look so good again.

• Cliff Kvanvig
    8 years ago

Whirlpool/Maytag should just acknowledge that the Aqualift cleaning technology just doesn't work and level with the buying public before the buying stops. The whole idea is a farce!!

• HU-16513196
    5 years ago

After waiting 30 years to turn in my old GE electric range from the 70's I find myself wishing I had that old range back. My new Maytag gas range looks great and the gas burners work BUT.... the AquaLift cleaning system does not work NOT AT ALL!!! DO NOT PURCHASE THIS SYSTEM!!! I want my money back to replace this stove if I wanted to have to scrub the oven I wouldn't have purchased self cleaning. Time for Maytag to resolve this issue.

• HU-817733146
    5 years ago

I bought a Kitchenaid electric stove with Aqualift. It is the worst purchase I have made. The stove is fine it is the Aqualift that is awful. I had an Electrolux gas range when I lived in my house in NY with self clean and it was wonderful. With Aqualift I feel like I am back in the 60's. I need to scrub with brillo to get most of the dirt off and I clean my over every three months. Aqualift is fine if you hardly ever use your stove but if you cook on a regular basis like we do it is useless.

• ematt21
    5 years ago

KitchenAid.....your company must be worried and concerned about so many complaints. What have you done to address this terrible criticism about the AquaLift clean system? Is the company planning to remedy customers’ complaints?

• HU-875821987
    3 years ago

I just recently purchased the aqua clean stove, Maytag. What a waste of money, If I could take it back tomorrow it would be gone. I used the oven twice so nothing really baked on and here I am on my knees scrubbing an oven, btw have only had it two weeks and already hate it! Total failure Maytag! Waste of money do not purchase!

• HU-923918848
    3 years ago

Aqua Lift cleaning system does not work on Maytag. The company will not do anything for the customers. All of the companies tat sell these stoves with this feature should be sued. I Have already spent several hundred dollars on service men and no one can correct this problem. My stove is only 7 months old.

• HU-657586025
    3 years ago

I just purchased a new Maytag electric stove with aqua self clean and it virtually does nothing. Went back to sales department and pretty much was told to try the manufacturer as they have had numerous similar complaints

• ematt21
    3 years ago

Kitchen aid gas convection has the same problem.

• Jackie Swaney
    3 years ago

This is one of the worst inventions Maytag could possibly come up with. My old Maytag self clean was the best. Just wipe away debris . Aqua lift system is horrible. If I wanted to clean my oven the hard way I would have bought an old oven.

• Lorna Randall
    2 years ago

My Maytag electric stove with aqua clean oven is the worst purchase I have ever made. They should NOT be allowed to sell stoves with this feature and tell the customer that it is wonderful.

• ematt21
    2 years ago

Mine is a Kitchen Aid and i share similar feelings. i try not to jse the oven and use my toaster oven as much s possible.

• Garry Koch
    2 years ago

Maytag aqua clean a piece of junk.

• Babbett Ruby
    last year

Just purchased a new kitchen aid with aqualift cleaning... it is absolutely worthless! I am to old to be scrubbing the inside of an oven. I can't believe they promote this cleaning method!

• Lorna Randall
    last year

I agree totally, Ruby. I have a brand new Maytag and hate the oven for the cleaning issues.

• mariethorn
    last year

I am so upset with my $1700.00 whirlpool “ aqualift self clean slide in electric range purchase. I wanted a “self cleaning“ oven and was sold this. It does not clean the oven bottom, sides, or ceiling. After cleaning it for the first time, I ran it 3 times. This is poor engineering and misrepresentation. It is an old fashioned elbow grease consumer clean oven. Not what i signed on for. i bought all 6 new appliances from Whirlpool. ive been duped

• Jacqueline Mills
    last year

Me too. VERY, VERY DISSAPPOUNTED. Thought i purchased a self cleaning oven. No different than the old ovens needing nothing but elbow grease. Very upset with my Whirlpool purchase indeed.

• HU-273455964
    last year

Who in the heck invented Aqua Clean??? It is worthless, I have a brand new gas stove in my garage, that I replaced because of how hard gas stoves are to keep clean. I've had an electric stove before and it was a breeze to clean, just wipe the ashes out, this piece of junk hit us in the pocket hard and now my oven won't come clean...honestly I'm tempted to shop around again for easier cleaning glass top electric with easy oven cleaning...don't know if I'll be successful but Imma try.

• jcaddoo
    last year

I too am very disappointed in our Whirlpool Aqualift Self Cleaning. I don't think we will ever get it clean again. I even cleaned it regularly, the first time I was so surprised when I ran the cleaning cycle and it didn't clean a thing! I tried to contact Whirlpool, but the suggestions they gave were useless.). I'd love to spread the word to everyone to not buy into this technology. And the glass is impossible to clean, from day one it has been a nightmare.

• Yin Yang
    last year

I also purchased the Kitchen-aid stove with the new AquaLift oven cleaning ability and it is absolutely the worst. I will NEVER buy another Kitchen-Aid product and will certainly never recommend it. I am an extremely neat and clean person and have tried so many times to use the AquaLift cleaning method but it does not remove much of anything. I finally called the company service department and they were useless! Easy Off has a new cleaner that says it is safe for use with self-cleaning ovens. Has anyone ever tried it?

• dadoes
    last year

Yin Yang, KitchenAid isn't the only brand on the market with AquaLift or other steam-clean methods.

• Lorna Randall
    last year

I don't think the aqualift function works on any brand. Worst thing ever invented.

• Yin Yang
    last year

I agree

• HU-567897014
    5 months ago

Maytag AquaLift oven cleaning is horrible. I have scrubbed the oven more than I have for years. Don't purchase.

• D V
    4 months ago

I have a Jenn aire aqua clean oven. It’s 100 percent useless. I would have never purchased it had I known the effort it would take to get the oven clean. This is not a wall unit and I have back issues and it’s a complete nightmare to clean.

• HU-567897014
    4 months ago

Here i am day after Thanksgiving trying to clean the Maytag oven. Aqualift is useless. I have never scrubbed my oven this much in years. I am truly sorry I purchased

this oven.

• HU-875821987
    4 months ago

I had the same problem! Thankfully I messed my oven on purpose after only owning it for two weeks! IEven though it wasnt that dirty I knew it wasnt the stove for me! Long gone are the days of cleaning ovens! Fortunately I went to maytags site and found out if you are not satisfied with their product after 3 monthe thay have a money back guarentee! what a blessing, needless to say Maytag got that useless piece of crap back! Bought one that actually does the job!

• HU-997235725
    2 months ago

Has anyone used a magic sponge or similar product? i started using my little stand alone oven for wings or anything that will splatter. i put foil on the bottom rack for anything that might drip or spill i too was deceived at purchase

• Danielle Vigeant
    last month

I bought the Maytag electric oven because it was one the few available in store during the pandemic but I could tell the Aqualift system was a scam. The oven is coated with a teflon surface. The smell was awful and toxic upon heating it the first time, it even says in the instructions to remove birds and small animals from the cooking area. The idea that steam would remove cooking residues and oil splatter is ridiculous. Very disappointed.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling