Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hand-held steam cleaning upholstery

Posted by lauriefree (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 10:05

The shark steam pocket (portable) videos show it cleaning upholstered furniture. I will definitely test an inconspicuous spot before I tried it, but to tell you the truth, I'm unclear on the concept. Has anyone used their portable steamer to perk up their upholstery? any tips on how best to use it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hand-held steam cleaning upholstery

I had an off-white upholstered rocker that I suddenly realized was filthy. Funny how that kind of thing can sneak up on you.... Anyhow, I worked on it first with a can of upholstery cleaner. It was somewhat better, but then I realized that the bottom of the skirt was black with dirt. The foam cleaner didn't touch it. Then I tried my Shark hand-held steamer. I blasted a small section of the skirt fold with steam, then rubbed it with a microfiber cloth. A Lot of dirt came off. After working my way all around the edge I tackled the rest of the chair. It helped, but didn't get all the dirt off.

Long story short, I tried to donate the chair to Goodwill but they wouldn't take it. I ended up driving it to the dump.

Assuming your furniture isn't as dirty as my chair was, I recommend trying steam. It really loosened a lot of the dirt. Just don't wait as long as I did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here