Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Best Natural Dishwashing Detergent..?

Sheeisback_GW
15 years ago

I currently use electrasol in my dishwasher. Gets the dishes clean but has that funk chemical smell when they're done.

I've been switching to green stuff for awhile now. Use charlie's soap and natural common stuff for other household cleaning.

I've read so many different reviews on natural dishwashing detergents and wanted some feedback from all you lovely people on here as to what you think is the best.

Also i've noticed some of the ones i've looked at it doesn't mention how many washes you can get out of it. So whatever you list if you could please give that info as well

Thanks in advance!

Comments (19)

• tsy72001
    15 years ago

I use Palmolive eco+
    Want a clean world and clean dishes, too? Palmolive's newest formula is free of the nasty phosphates that turn rivers and lakes into gigantic algae petri dishes. And unlike boutique brands, you don't have to drive out of your way to find this detergent -- it's right there at your local supermarket.

Price: $3.09 to $3.39 for a 45-ounce bottle; $4.19 to $4.49 for a 75-ounce bottle; $5.69 to $5.99 for a 120-ounce bottle
    Manufacturer: Colgate Palmolive
    Available at: grocery stores nationwide

• ebear1271
    15 years ago

For the dishwasher I prefer Seventh Generation and for hand-washing I use Earth Friendly Products dish soap. The one thing I have found with natural dishwasher detergent is that I have to pre-rinse a lot. I can only assume it's because the natural cleaners don't have the same chemicals as regular detergents and therefore don't "eat" the stuff left on the dishes. The scariest thing is that after using Seventh Generation for a while I was at my girlfriend's and I could SMELL the bleach coming from her dishwasher. I think we get so used to it that we don't notice anymore but I don't like to think of inhaling that stuff everyday. For me the trade-off, pre-rinsing vs. inhaling chemicals everyday, is worth it.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tsy - that would be great if it were right at my store. Would save me from ordering and the shipping charges! I'll have to look this weekend!

ebar - i did see a lot of good things about the seventh generation. I already prerinse now so that's not a problem. I just can't imagine all that stuff is good for your machine. Plus we don't need to run ours everyday. (please noone hollar at me- i saw the thread about prerinsing!) Not only do i think electrasol leaves a smell but my dishes have almost a super squeekiness about them when they're handled. They don't get like that from handwashing. Everytime I drink out of a glass I can't help but wonder how not good it is to be using all those chemicals.

Thanks guys!

• ebear1271
    15 years ago

tsy72001, do you work for Colgate? If not you should apply for a job in advertising - LOL! Anyway, since you seem to know a lot about it perhaps you can answer my question. Is the eco+ a truly natural product, or is it just basically Cascade without phosphates, which are not the only harmful ingredients in regular detergents?

• bonny_doon
    15 years ago

Have you tried using the Charlies in your dishwasher. I have read that some folks have tried that and it works for some. I have used Oxyclean in mine with no problems. I was reading the ing of a natural diswasher soap online, it was the same as my Oxyclean, Or any oxy product.
    They wanted a ton for the product. I will try Charlies tonight and get back to you.

• bonny_doon
    15 years ago

Ok, tried the Charlies Soap in the dishwasher. It foamed too much. Didn't stop the dishwasher, or cause any other problems. I just opened it up a couple of times and too many suds in it for me.
    I have very soft water here. Oh well, maybe it cleaned my dishwasher out a bit.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i checked out the palmolive eco over the weekend. says eco on the front but has a warning on the back because of the chlorine in it. hmmm... chlorine isn't natural.

i still have 1/2 a box of electrasol left so i'm going to finish that up first but i'm still not sure what i'll be switching to.

• ebear1271
    15 years ago

You may have to try a few different brands to see what works for you, I know I did. Don't give up though! The right stuff is out there and it's worth the work to get those chemicals out of your house!

• trinityklm
    15 years ago

I use Shaklee's Get Clean dishwasher detergent. I was a Electrosol/Casacade use for years and was happy with their performance, although I did have a lot of etching, as well as having to deal with the chemical smells in the DW and on the dishes. The dishes always appeared clean, anyway.

I was skeptical to try the Get Clean. Surprisingly there are very few instances in which I have to rewash an item. Maybe twice a month (I run my machine nearly every day). I don't pre-rinse either, just scrape off big chunks of food.

What I do is add the detergent and NOT close the little detergent door. That way, the soap is used in the first rinse, and the rest of the cycle proceeds without soap. The salesperson at Wedgewood recommended this method to protect the finish of the dishes and reduce etching. Again I was skeptical but it has worked so well, I always do it this way now. I never have any chemical smells billowing out of my dishwasher and the dishes are squeaky clean (not coated with strange substances.)

We have soft water, by the way.

Good luck with your quest!

• kittiemom
    15 years ago

Ummm.... chlorine is natural. I don't think it's good to be exposed to the fumes (my DH gets sick from the smell). But it is natural - an element on the periodic table (#17).

I'm also looking for alternatives to my current detergents, incl. laundry detergent. Good luck with your search; let us know if you find something you're pleased with.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kittie - guess i shouldn't have phrased it like that. i know it's an element. still has that big warning on the back... it's probably better than the electrasol i'm using but i think i'm going to try the seventh generation.

I'll post an update when i do!

• earthie
    15 years ago

You can make a natural dishwasher agent by combining equal parts of washing soda and borax (that 20 mule team stuff). Use about 2 T. of the stuff per load, in the first wash only. Then fill your rinse agent dispenser with white vinegar.

This may work for you, depending on your local water. Some people have reported a white film from using this powder, but I think that might be taken care of by doing the vinegar thing. I find the white vinegar rinse has cleared up some glassware that I thought was clouded (etched) forever.

Another side bonus of this natural combo is that the odor problems I had with my dishwasher when using the gel detergents are now gone.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

earthie - thanks for this info! i never can seem to find washing soda and borax at the store. maybe i need to look harder.

we have well water but use a sofenter.

when you say use 2t per load, first wash only...do you mean the other times you use only 1? i need to check out my rinse dispenser...is this where the jet dry would go? i've only had a dishwasher for a couple of months so i haven't look at the insides real well!

Thanks!

• earthie
    15 years ago

What it means is don't put an extra 2 Tablespoons of the powder in the little closed cup that opens for the second wash cycle. (Most dishwasher cycles have two wash segments) Just fill the open cup so the powder is only used during the first wash of the cycle.

And yes, put the vinegar in the place where you would put the Jet Dry.

I've heard a lot of areas don't stock those products as a norm. Luckily, our stores here do. Why not ask the manager of the store you frequent most if he will put it on the shelf for you?

• kittiemom
    15 years ago

sheesharee, hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. I've actually spoken to people who believe that chlorine is a man-made chemical.

I bought Watkins dishwashing liquid over the weekend. I used it last night on a couple of cups & it seemed to work well. It has a wonderful lemon smell. I understand that they also have a dishwasher detergent, but it wasn't avail. at the Target where I was shopping. They did have the Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent. I thought I bought a bottle of it, but apparently I forgot to put it in the cart.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

earthie - thanks for the clarification. I still think mine has the jet dry in it. I've never looked at the ingredients but i'm assuming that stuff isn't great for you either.

kittiemom - it's ok! it's hard to tell emotions on a computer. Right after i posted about it not being natural
    i was like "whoops!" no worries.

i acutally found seveth generation on my grocery store shelf over the weekend. This is huge because i've never seen these products on their shelf. They also had the dish detergent. Bought some. I'm temped to just throw out my electrasol. It's going to take a long time to finish using the box.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I like Charlies Soap for laundry, but I wouldn't put it in a dishwasher. Too much suds. I used it at the Laundromat and had bubbles coming out all over the floor, really flooded the place. And I used the recommended 2 tablespoons. I use any Dawn I can get my hands on cheap for handwashing dishes. Right now I'm using the Cascade Complete Gel Paks for my dishwasher and I'm satisfied with them. They have blue and green swirls, just so you know what I'm talking about.

• schneemaid
    12 years ago

Ecover tablets

• julie825
    12 years ago

I use Seventh Generation for hand washing dishes and Earth Friendly Wave in the dishwasher. I also keep some stronger dishwasher gel for those times the dishwasher doesn't get run right away or there is some really dried on stuff that I know won't come off.