Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Fabric softener stain on clothing

Posted by cearab (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 9:12

I don't know what is happening, but I noticed a large irregular stain on a light blue pajama top that appears to be the Downy fabric softener I use. I have a 7 year old Kitchenaid washing machine, with the fabric softener dispenser in the middle of the machine. You know, the kind where you put the softener in at the start of the wash, add water until it reaches the top of the screen in the dispenser, and forget about it. Well, this stain is purple in color, which is the color of the Lavender fabric softener I have been using. The stain is at least 5". I rewashed the article, and nothing came out. Is there a way to remove this stain, and is there any reason any of you can think that this would happen? It's a large capacity machine, and I never overload.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Fabric softener stain on clothing

I have heard you can rub it with a bar of soap, like Ivory, and then rewash it. I'm not sure if that was just for dryer sheets or if it'll work with liquid. Can't hurt to try!

o
RE: Help! Fabric softener stain on clothing

Yes, bar soap. I remove caked on fabric softener from the sides of my washing machine's insides by using straight vinegar, so put vinegar in the rinse cycle too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here