Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washing cotton curtains

Posted by marvelousmarvin (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 3:29

Has anybody else had any problems washing cotton curtains?

Any tricks or tips or what avoid as to how to wash cotton curtains or drapes?

I bought brand new Ikea white Merete 100% cotton curtains and washed them before I hemmed them to prevent shrinkage in the future.

I rented out my place a couple of years ago, and the tenant sneaked a cat in even though that was forbidden in the lease. There were all these cat hairs on the bottom of the curtains so I had to wash them. But, all the curtains shrank so much I can't re-use them anymore and Ikea doesn't sell those same curtains in that size anymore to replace them.

To avoid that scenario again, I thought it would be better if I washed these brand new curtains beforehand so they would shrink now vs shrinking later after I had hemmed the curtains But, washing these brand new curtains was a huge mistake.

When the sun shines through the curtains, you see all these splotchy yellow marks. I have no idea what caused this, if the metal in the grommet rings somehow caused all this or if it was something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washing cotton curtains

Did the care instructions indicate they were washable? It seems if the metal rings were the cause, the splotchy yellow marks would especially show up around the grommots. Several people on the Home Decorating forum have Ikea curtains. You might try posting over there if you don't get your answer here.

o

Yes, it said you could wash them and put them in the dryer too.

o

Take 'em back to IKEA in that case? Seems that should be covered under warranty if it states they're washable cotton.

One tip for the future: Synthrapol is a great liquid soap that you can use in any situation where you are fearful of colors bleeding -- it keeps any dissolved dye in suspension so that it doesn't stain the rest of the fabric while you wash the item.

Sounds like some kind of fabulous Leninist city, I know, but you can pick up a bottle at any art supply store. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here