Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean color bleed on new towels

Posted by mrs-mjt (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 23:55

I washed previously washed blue jeans (thought they were done bleeding) with dark brown towels that have small cream stripes in them. After removing them from the dryer, I saw that the blue bled onto the cream. Can you please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean color bleed on new towels

mrs-mjt...RIT color dye company makes a color-bleed removal. I want to say it comes in a pink or purple colored box. I have used it before and it works really well.

o

Thanks I'll check it out. Will it just remove the blue dye from the cream colored stripes?

o

groomingal, What I meant to ask was will the dye just remove the blue jean bleed on the cream colored stripes or will it also change the color of the dark brown/tan stripes in the towels? I looked at a box of the dye at Wal-Mart and it sounded like it was to be used to remove color bleeds on whites ONLY so didn't know how it would impact the brown in the towels. Thanks!

o

I think it will remove the blue from the cream stripe but also remove a tiny bit of the brown. But if the brown is intense and dark enough you won't even notice. Good luck-you have nothing to lose since the towels appear to be a "lost cause" if you're unhappy with them as they are. At worst, you will gain some very absorbent rags from this experiment.

o

I would try soaking them in Oxyclean. Mix some powder in a tub with water and let them soak. It won't hurt your original color and might remove the new dye color. It's worth a try. I've done this with other dye stains. Good luck with yours.

Annie

o

I used mine on cream color towels and it didn't bleach the cream color. But since your towels are brown try as Annie suggested and soak them in Oxyclean first- if that doesn't work try one towel in the RIT color remover.

Hope it works!

o

Thanks for the tips! I'll try the Oxyclean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here