Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove grout from granite?

Posted by decisionsdecisions (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 21:04

When the contractor installed the backsplash and grout, he didn't do a very good job of removing the grout that got on the granite countertops. Now that the grout is dry as can be, how can I remove it from my granite countertops? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove grout from granite?

I have just the right thing for you ...i brought in a good tile man a few month ago but the finishing touch and cleaning was neglected so i needed to do myself

i`ll send you the link to the cleaner i used

Here is a link that might be useful: grout cleaner

o

That link is to a phosphoric acid cleaner. I would get some professional advice before using it on granite. You would be better off calling the contractor back in to clean up the mess he made.

o

Thank you both. I read all the fine print on the grout cleaner Mosesco mentioned, but I have to admit, it made me too nervous to use on sealed granite. I also tried to get the contractor back in to clean his mess, but he wouldn't do it. Instead he suggested I get some muriatic acid and a stiff scrubbing brush and gloves and scrub it off. That, too, gave me pause. Thus, my post in the first instance as I was hoping there was another solution. Of course, if the contractor isn't off base with the muriatic acid recommendation, then the solution posed by Mosesco probably would work in the same manner.

o

How much grout are we talking about? Can you post some photos?

You might consider calling in someone else to do the work and then sue the contractor in small claims court. But first call him and tell him this is your plan.

o

A picture won't show the grout. It's just a thin invisible layer in various parts of the granite near the base of the backsplash that you can't really see but can feel in that the granite isn't cool and/or smooth there. I have no desire to sue the contractor in small claims court because in all other respects I was happy with his work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here