Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodtastenomoney

Bona Swedish Hardwood Cleaner

goodtastenomoney
20 years ago

I am so excited about this product. We have only hardwood floors and I had struggled with the Swifter Wetjet and the Hoover Floormate. First I swept , the spray the Bona on a small section of floor, then go over with a microfiber mop on a very sturdy aluminum pole- not the screw together variety. Got both the mop and Bona at restoration hardware. Cleans in less the half the time of the floormate and cleaner than the swifter. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Comments (18)

• alicesRestaurant
    20 years ago

You didn't provide the usual disclaimer that you have
    no connection or association with the sale of the product.
    Could be an oversight, I know. In the meantime, at least
    my post here hopefully will start your post moving downward
    instead of staying at the top indefinitely (apparently).
    If your post was not an advertisement, thanks.

--Alice

• goodtastenomoney
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I am supposed to say I am not a part of a company??? It was no oversight, why ever would I know I am supposed to do that? Have been posting on the forum for years. My post was an advertisement for something I personally feel is a super product so you are welcoms.

• fatlester
    19 years ago

Goodtastenomoney -- Second your recommendation.

The Bona mop and floor spray is a wonderful discovery. We vacuum first then just go over with the damp micromop.

The Bona spray also worked fantastically on paper towels when I was wiping up grit on my new oiled floor. Wasn't sure what to use with that exactly but it aced it. Now just wish I could get the stuff wholesale cause boy is it expensive.

I got mine from iflor.

• Katy
    19 years ago

Here is a site that sells the 1 gallon refill (comes with a 32oz spray bottle too) for $21. Other sites I found were selling this combo for $29.50.

Heck, if you really had a lot of cleaning, you could get the 4 gallons w/4 quarts for $76. Bet that would last a while ;)

Katy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bona Swedish in bulk.

• Bonnie
    19 years ago

I use the cleaner which I love. I also use the Bona Refresher. It's brought back the shine of my floors. Great product. (and I am not associated with the company)

• smile247
    18 years ago

Hi everyone. I have 2500 sq. ft. of santos mahogany engineered wood flooring. I have been using the Hoover Floormate,but it recently broke,so I bought the Bona hardwood cleaner after researching here. I have to say Im so disappointed. I was hoping it was going to be the miracle I needed to keep my floors clean,but it leaves a bad residue or film on our floors. Our floors have a shiny finish to them and I have used several products,but nothing has seemed to work for me.Every product Ive tried leaves a film. I dont know if its just our floors or what,but Im frustrated. The Floormate is the only thing that made my floors look half way decent and actually felt clean afterwards. Im hesitant about purchasing a new Floormate because the wood floor cleaner I use in it has been discontinued and the cleaner Hoover has replaced it with leaves streaks,also Ive read here that using water on your wood floor isnt such a great idea.Does anyone else out there have floors with a shiny finish? I would like any other comments on other cleaners I can try. I posted a similar question on the flooring forum with no responses. Thanks

• hamptonmeadow
    18 years ago

After you clean the floor you are supposed to use the Refresher about every six months. Be prepared for a beautiful floor.

• mrsc
    17 years ago

I'm going to try Bona, since all these good reviews. I have nice floors and want to keep them that way.

Is it ok to use the restorer to touch-up areas? Or do you move furniture and do the entire floor?

• saphire
    17 years ago

Do not lik Bona, it leaves a film on my polyurethaned oak floors. I like the Bruce better but am concerned about the chemicals

• arielitas_mom
    17 years ago

I use 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water on a microfiber mop. Works great and costs about 1/100 of the other products.

• plumbly22
    17 years ago

I just got a microfiber mop... the guy said to use it only with pure water... does the vingear help? Water worked fine, other than I was constantly taking the mop ad off and rinsing it... the velcro was a pain, but it didn't seem to leave the film that the swifter or regular mop and poly cleaner did... So far I think I'm liking it... tag o the mop pad says starfiber, I'm guessing this is a brand name???

• gw:gracie-2006
    17 years ago

Where can I buy a microfiber mop?

• plumbly22
    17 years ago

I got mine from one o those booths at the local fair... but came home and did and internet search and found the exact same thing for 2/3 the cost at qvc.com. I got their item V24246, sells there with shipping for ~$30, I paid $45 for the same mop handle, 2 mop heads, and 2 cloths... differnet cloth colors is the only change I see from what they list, other than I got screwed on thte price....

Not affiliated with QVC.com

• hamptonmeadow
    17 years ago

You are not supposed to use the Bona cleaner all the time. I only use it about every six months. The rest of the time I use the Bona microfiber mop and pure water. I think the film people were getting is from using the cleaner too often. It is really made to clean the floor before the re finisher is applied. Water and micro mop works best. Get several micro cop thingies to put on your holder so you don't have to rinse every time and always have several clean ones available. They must be kept clean as you use them or they will not work as well.

• kathy81054
    17 years ago

I just had engineered hardwood installed Friday and was going to post about how to clean ( somehow I forgot that when I was researching the floor part). I actually used the Swiffer wet and it did dull the look so I went back and damp mopped with the microfiber and it looks great. I like the idea about the vinegar too maybe every 2-3 times.

Oh and thanks for the suggestion on getting more than one cloth-- I can see I will be using it much more often than before.
    This site is awesome

• Emily Peltz
    17 years ago

FWIW, we just moved into new construction, and have a LOT of Brazilian Cherry floors. With two dogs, a two year old, and the "punch-list" people in and out, it was getting very dirty very quickly. I tried water on a microfiber mop, and it was only ok.

Finally called the store where we bought the wood (duh!). They (and other places I researched on the web) said not to use water for regular cleaning. They like the Bruce hardwood cleaner, or similar, with a microfiber mop. Having researched similar cleaners, I got the Bona today - and it's amazing how well it cleaned. The new microfiber mops are great, too - 8x15", so can cover more territory more quickly. The store said to only use the cleaner every week or two; in between, you can swiffer/microfiber mop/vacuum dry, and spot clean as needed.

FWIW, the big microfiber mops are now at Lowe's and Home Depot - about $15 for a mop and one cover; about $5 for replacement covers. They're on wood poles, though - so may not be as nice as the aluminum ones. Be aware that the big ones are a little hard to use when using the cleaner though - so if that's an issue, get a smaller one.

Emily

• littlechickadee_silverbulletranch_c
    13 years ago

We just got an Oak hardwood floor installed. My question is what is Bona made of? Why did they not tell people you couldn't clean it with water BEFORE it was installed?

• nhwhazup12
    10 years ago

I use the Bona cleaner every two weeks and my floors are clean with no build up. I've been using it for at least eight years.