Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?? for those who use home made cleaners

Posted by dlm2000 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 18:44

Most of my cleaning products have been replaced as they run out and I use vinegar and/or baking soda for just about everything and find they work just fine. The exception is in my tiled shower stall. I used to spray on a cleaner then using a soft scrubbie sponge to clean the tile and grout and remove soap/shampoo/conditioner/body oil residue. Baking soda sprinkled in a sink or tub works great but there's a lot of vertical tile space in a shower and the baking soda isn't working well - most of it ends up on the floor. I find vinegar doesn't work well as a cleaner on the tile.

What have you used with success? Ease of application is a big part of this, too. It was nice to have something that began working as it was sprayed. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?? for those who use home made cleaners

I use Bon Ami which is similar to baking soda but seems not to end up on the floor as much. It also doesn't require as much elbow grease. There are also recipes online using baking soda and vinegar and making them into a paste. The Bon Ami is my favorite so far. I just wet a sponge and shake some on.

o

I use Bon Ami on many things, as it dose NOT scrath. I especially like it on the stove top, the brown grease spots, cleans and leaves no soap film. Just yesterday, while washing the car, there was a spill from something (?) on the door that would not wash off, got the Bon Ami, and it was gone. The local store I always buy it from, no longer carries it, can anyone tell me where to find it?
Thanks,K

o

I think you are on the right track using the baking soda but need to use a micro-fiber cloth because it will hold on to the baking soda better. Vinegar is good for hard-water stains but will not remove the oils.

Also, a solution with washing soda can work if the baking soda is not strong enough. Baking soda is sodium bi-carbonate, washing soda is sodium carbonate, and Oxy-clean is sodium per-carbonate. They are all related and safe for the environment.

Oxy-clean is a non-chlorine bleach and eliminates the use of any chlorine bleach products. I use it with my Soap-it Nuts and also sprinkle it in the bottom of my sink to whiten it.

Cheers!

o

I use soap nuts on about everything. I found a whole list of uses on www.survive2010recession.com. They have a lot of uses, are eco friendly and cheap too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here