Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
intermittent overpowering odor

Posted by skorky (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 18:13

Hi all,
My husband and I bought a house that has an intermittent very strong odor. The house has cedar paneling throughout. The odor appears to be concentrated in a cedar panel near an exterior wall on one area of the house (1st floor). The odor tends to be very strong when the house is hot (we have strong solar gain) but at other times it may not even be noticeable. It is difficult to describe the odor, but it seemed plausible it could be a dead-animal smell, or urine, or even something musty. I would not describe it as an earthy smell. At its strongest, I feel I can taste the smell on my tongue. It was very noticeable today when the house warmed up, yet now (still warm) I do not smell it.

The house has had some rough times - burned down and rebuilt in 1990, and frozen and burst pipes in 2008 or 2009. (We bought it just after the repairs were done). A water/mold damage company did the clean-up after the pipes burst and said they did not find mold at that time. The house was also vacant a fair amount in the years prior to when we bought it (it is a ski house) and we know that at some point there were mice. We have sealed and are pretty confident we do not have mice now.

Can anyone help us figure this out? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: intermittent overpowering odor

It's not a male cat spray smell is it? A male cat could be going around spraying. Maybe check up in the attic and see if there's a dead animal up there or any other something up in the attic that stinks and maybe you can smell it through a vent under the overhangs? Just an idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here