Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie26_gw

Which Dyson should I buy?

marie26
18 years ago

Which Dyson can be pushed very easily? I have one dog who does not shed so pet hair isn't an issue. Also, do all Dyson's go from carpet to bare floors without changing a setting?

I tried the purple/teal one that I borrowed from a friend and was very impressed although I was hoping another model would be easier to push.

Is there a certain Dyson that I should purchase?

Comments (41)

• yazee1
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was convinced I was going to buy one myself, the cyclone model, yellow. Everyone raves about the Dyson. We don't have any indoor pets. I went to see the vacuum repairman to get his opinion. He said he's getting a boatload of Dyson's with problems like cracked hoses, bad pulleys, and bad belts. It's kind of soon for a vacuum that's only been out for a couple years to be showing up at the repair shop. He had good things to say about the Simplicity, trying to remember which model but it ran about 700.00, and in the less expensive range, the Sharp Twin Energy, which runs about 200.00 when I checked online.

• dallasbill
    18 years ago

Look at a Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC 07 Full Kit. Comes with a bare floor tool, mini turbo tool and a spare filter. Avoid the Dyson with the roller-ball instead of wheels as it's hard to keep upright for many people.

Dyson has been out for way more than 2 years and they do have some issues with cracked latches. All vacuums break belts and they are user replaceable. That being said, we have had the above unit -- via Amazon for 299 (we paid 229) -- for almost a year and I can say that it is absolutely the BEST vacuum I have ever used. We have 4 cats too.

You can use it from bare floor to carpet, but the bare floor selection turns off the beater bar and you get much more efficient bare floor suction that way.

• demifloyd
    18 years ago

I have had the yellow Dyson for a year now and we absolutely love it--I can't believe the suction and the dirt that comes out of what looks like clean carpet. I'll probably splurge and get one for the upstairs, as well. Right now I'm on my third Sharp Twin Energy, which yazee mentioned. It is inexpensive and we've always had good luck with it, but this last one (which I purchased for upstairs use) isn't working after about ten months' use. I'll either get it repaired or buy a Dyson for upstairs. We use the Dyson on our wood floors, as well.

• User
    18 years ago

I love my Dyson. Before the Dyson I always had Orecks and I always thought they were good - until the Dyson! Like Demifloyd said, the amount of dirt you will get out of your carpet when you first use your Dyson will shock you! I have heard that vacuum repair shops aren't crazy about bagless vacuums because they make a lot of their money selling bags! This could have something to do with why many people say their local vacuum repair guy does not recommend a Dyson.

• marie26
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What are the main differences between the yellow and the purple Dysons?

• berlin
    17 years ago

"Which Dyson should I buy?"

none. I had a dyson which i used for around 8 months, all the while the suction would get worse and worse, even after extensive cleaning of filters etc. I also had some small issues with the carpet brushes as well as having a cracked hose develop, further preventing adequate suction. Dyson is a good idea poorly put into practice. horrible quality. went back to my 10+ year old cheap hoover with bags and i never realized how simple yet how well it was made.

• etznab
    17 years ago

The yellow, purple, red, and green dysons are actually the same machine - what's different is the attachements. Buy the color you want and buy the attachements you need from their website.

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

I have had the purple (the Animal) Dyson for two years. I made the selection because of 2 long hair cats. The performance has amazed me. My old vacuum was pretty good...I thought. I would have to change the bag about every three months; with the Dyson, I empty the cylinder every other time I vacuum. Granted, the cylinder holds less that the bag, but still that is an indicator to me that it is picking up a "whole lot more" the my other vacuums did.

• mindi
    17 years ago

I have this same question...the Dyson website does not indicate any differences between the model numbers, only allowing you to compare which attachments come with each package AFTER you choose the model you are interested in...so which model am I interested in?

I learned that the DC07 was the last prototype before the DC14 and went to market due to timing pressures and the desire for a lower price point. The DC15 seems to be a matter of preference...some people love it, others hate it. My sister has the DC14 Animal and says she is pleased with how it works, but wishes that it was lighter and that the attachments would attach directly to the hose instead of just to the wand, so that she could get up close to certain cleaning projects...after using my Mom's DC14 Animal, I agreed. It would be nice to get to the carpet on the back of each stair with more control instead of trying to control the end of the wand from 20 inches away...but all in all I still think that the Animal is fairly easy to use and does a nice job. I intend to see if the folks at our local vacuum store can enlighten me and will get back if I hear anything useful - good luck!

Mindi

• saphire
    17 years ago

I do not like my 07 Animal. I find the suction unimpressive and have problems picking up small pieces like bits of dried pasta, either off a floor or rug

• hamptonmeadow
    17 years ago

Vac repair shops sell Simplicity vacs. I would be leery of any repair man who touted his own product over Dyson. As for longevity, perhaps that is the trade off for the excellent suction. Astounding suction, I might add.
    I have a Dyson and they ar eheavy. But I have no problems with it and don't find it particularly awkward to use.

• charann102_2006
    17 years ago

I had the same question 2 months ago. I was debating between the Oreck and a purple Dyson Animal (D14). I bought the Dyson and I love it. I was amazed at how much it picked up!

Incidently I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond and could use a 20% off coupon with the purchase which was a nice savings!

I have Berber carpet in most of the downstairs (not the kitchen) and it pushes easily over that. I have plush carpet in the bedrooms and it does push a little harder than my old Hoover Windtunnel but when I see what it picks up, it is worth the extra effort.

I use to hate cleaning out the cars and vacuuming them. Since I got the Dyson, everyone in our family has a clean car inside. It was amazing on the carpet...none of that back and forth, back and forth, back and forth business. It just sucked up the dirt and dog hair immediately.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. I love it!

Charlotte

I find it is very, very easy to empty and clean.

• marie26
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I purchased the Dyson Animal 15 and used it yesterday for the first time. Linens & Things didn't carry it at their store so they ordered it for me and delivered it to my door. The original cost was $600.00 but with the 20% off coupon, I paid $480.00. I had written on another post that this model is on a "ball" and moves around easily. It certainly sucked up a lot of dirt.

• marie26
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have one more reason to recommend the Dyson Animal 15. This is the first vacuum cleaner I've ever had that hugs the wall so easily to get all that dirt out. It does this on both sides of the vacuum so you don't have to turn it around to vacuum along a wall.

• xamsx
    17 years ago

I have a dyson animal. When I get my PhD, I might be able to figure out how to work it. In the mean time, I am very grateful one of my cleaning ladies is able to figure out how to use it. My other cleaning lady is as stumped as I am.

Saying that, it really does seem to clean my carpets very well.

• sheepdip
    17 years ago

I bought the Dyson 14 Animal and if it broke today, I'd buy another one tomorrow. I love it.

First let me correct a previous post. The Dyson HAS NO FILTERS. You will not be messing with filters if you buy a Dyson. It works by centrifugal force and it works beautifully. You don't ever touch anything dirty.

There are basically three models of Dyson vacuums. They all use the same "root-cyclone" technology. The DC7 was first and the main flaws were that the gap in front was too small to pick up such items as pasta or cheerios, and the wand/hose design was faulty, resulting in wear on the hose.

The DC14 fixed these two problems. They are a teency bit more expensive than the DC7 but I think well worth it. I have three small dogs who find stuff to chew up and leave little parts/pieces all over. The DC14 grabs them and the little stuff too.

The "Ball" is a complete design change. I suggest that you read the customer reviews at Amazon.com to get a lot of user comments. One reviewer is a vacuum salesman at Sears and he gives great insight to the Dysons. He says the DC7 and DC14 are the best in the industry but the "Ball" is a nightmare. I tried this one and didn't find it to offer any advantage to the regular Dysons in terms of maneuverability. They all weigh about the same - much less than my $400 Hoover WindTunnel (piece 'o junk) and quieter than the WindTunnel too.

As others have said, it's mainly a choice of attachments. The Animal comes with the standard "on-board" tools plus a "low-reach" tool to get under beds and other low furniture. It also comes with a small turbine powered brush tool that really peels the cat/dog hair off of upholstery - hence the name "Animal." That little tool is also WONDERFUL for stairs.

Since the basic machines (DC7 or DC14) are the same except color, I guess decide if you need to be able to pick up chunks or cheerios (DC14) and then either buy the color you like or research the attachments and buy the machine that comes with the attachments you think you need. The attachments are available separately if you find the color you buy doesn't come with an attacment or tool you feel you must have.

The Animal DC14 was right for me. I didn't care what color it was. It gets the carpets really CLEAN and that is what I bought a vacuum for. It has big wheels so it's easier to push around than most vacuums and it doesn't lose suction or overheat because it doesn't have those pesky filters that other bagless vacuums have.

So there's my long-winded response. I hope it helps. Now I'm just waiting for Dyson to design a similarly well built steam cleaner for carpet. It would be the bee's knees and I'd be the first one to buy it.

All good things to you,
    Mary

• franci37
    16 years ago

No one is complaining about the weight of a Dyson. I got it home and couldn't lift it. Returned it the same day. Reminded me of a Kirby. Have bought so many through the years - looking for the best and finally found a Sebo. Love it. Cost $800.00 but I wasted so much money on the others. Should have gotten this great quality machine years ago. It's a cannister, light like a Miele but way more suction.

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

IMHO, reconsider buying a Dyson. A friend of mine owns a chain of stores that only sell vacuums and floor cleaners (Swanson's). They tell their customers that Swansons will sell them a Dyson if the customer insists, but they do not recommend any Dyson product. There are several reasons but the primary one is Dysons don't do a very good job. Talk to someone locally that specializes in different brands of floor cleaners. Don't fall for the advertising hype. I've known two folks who bought the Dyson pet vacuum models and both people are not happy. Also, read Consumer Reports vacuum cleaner tests. Dyson scored low.

• kelly726
    16 years ago

I received the Animal DC14 as a gift for my bday a few months back. I always wanted a dyson ever since I got my long hair shedding dog :0) I had heard they were quite heavy.. and they are when I think about lugging it upstairs.. but when it comes to pushing it around a room, the vacuum seems super light once I turn it on. Also nothing has broken so far, and umm well once my vacuum tumbled down the stairs (I guess I lack stair vacuuming skills) :0)

• journeymom
    16 years ago

The Dyson has no filters? My Dyson Animal most definitely has a filter. "Lifetime HEPA Filter That Does Not Clog" it says under the canister. You're supposed to remove it and wash it every 6 months or so, but I've haven't done that in quite a while.

This Dyson is 5 to 6 years old. Maybe newer ones don't have filters?

• aixia
    16 years ago

You're right Journeymom, Dysons do indeed have a HEPA filter. I have a DC14 Animal too, and it's got a filter. Cleaning it is pretty easy, and you don't have to do it very often.

I adore my Animal. The turbo brush tool is amazing for getting cat hair out of just about anything. Great on stairs and mattresses too. Yeah, it's a bit heavy to lug upstairs, but it's not horrible, and if you've only got one staircase it's not a huge deal and over quickly.

The only thing I don't like is the cord. I wish it had an automatically retracting cord as it tangles so easily, but it's a minor inconvenience when you consider how wonderfully it cleans and how easy it is to empty the canister.

• emmhip
    16 years ago

I've had the DC14 for about 4 years now, and I LOVE IT! I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. I have carpet, wood floor and tile. The Dyson handles it all. Yes, sometimes it is a little heavy/awkward, but it performs beautifully. I haven't had any problems and I've only cleaned the filter thingy once. My husband actually cleans his pool table with it! Love the Dyson! I've also heard that vacuum salesmen don't like them because they need to sell bags to make a living. I had a Kirby salesmen come to my house and he used about 50 of those stupid filter things, and the vacuum cost almost $2000! What a waste!

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

You should check out the March '07 Consumer Reports. I went to the library and copied the info. in the magazine (cheaper than subscribing to Consumer Reports online to look at past issues!). I too was considering the Dyson Animal for the pet hair in my house but changed my mind when I saw that a Kenmore was ranked #1, even for pet hair! It can't hurt to look and maybe get some ideas.

• sebo
    16 years ago

None, I would check out the sebo vacuum x4 first. If it cost to much shop around. You could also check with a local dealer and do a layaway like I did.
    The dysons are good vacuums but if you have pets that shed I found myself doing maintance on it very often which after a while can be a pain! Then I went to a sebo x4. DO yourself favor and just look into the sebo vacuums you will say where have these vacuums been. Allergy buyers considers it their #1 upright. just take a look.

• lucky51
    16 years ago

As an Independent Vac dealer I have to laugh at some of the comments about bag vacs, that we make all our money on bags, that's why we don't recommend bagless. In all honesty most Vacuum retailers are very good people who genuinely want the best for their customer, I am the same way. You the customer see MY FACE, you return to me because I was honest with you. I can't understand why you would you trust the opinion of someone who just sold you linens or lumber over a qualified sales person. And I find it strange to dismiss so many professionals who have the same opinion. That said... I sell most of the higher end Vacuums available: Dyson, Simplicity, SEBO etc. Dyson cleans very well and at a good price point. However... repairs, getting parts, pieces falling off etc, plus having to empty a dust bin and take time to wash out filters and how much of your purchase price goes toward advertising, (after all it's only a plastic Malaysian vacuum) must be considered. I would not have ANY BAGLESS If I had small children or breathing problems. If you can afford a Miele, Simplicity or SEBO you will get a superior vacuum with an excellent service network to support it. If you understand what your get with the Dyson and are ok with it, than by all means purchase one.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I would not have ANY BAGLESS If I had small children or breathing problems.

Lucky51, I see that you just signed up today; welcome to these forums. Why would you not choose a bagless vac for a home with children? Even Consumer Reports, which I believe is biased against bagless vacs in general, gives all the Dysons an excellent rating in the emissions category. And rinsing the Dyson filter twice a year under running water and then letting it dry overnight does not seem onerous to me.

• lucky51
    16 years ago

Thank You for the welcome! The more research you read about dust, specifically Dust Mite Feces and pet dander the more concerned you will become. When you vacuum you disturb the dust for 2 plus hours. It floats throughout your household. Children's lungs are not as developed as adults and suffer greater effects. Bagless vacuums can not create a sealed system. They therefore spew dust throughout your home. Even so called HEPA systems that do not specify a "Sealed System" are just hype as well. If you do want a bagless the Dyson is probably the best. Also most people don't realize that, despite what you are told, a bagless was invented FOR THE CONSUMER to save you $30 a year on bags. They were really invented for the RETAILER! It's all about market share. Now they could sell vacuums in Target, Home Depot, BB& Beyond etc. They no longer need a qualified salesmen, did not have to carry supplies or parts nor provide a service center. Sell'em and forget'em. Most bagless need their filters changed so often they end up easily costing the consumer more than bags do. Or they require messy clean ups or washing. I'm not saying a washable filter is good or bad but some people won't or just don't like it. When I get some time I'll give my feelings on Consumer reporting magazines...let's just say I would take the word of a guy who repairs vacuums over a magazine.

• duajones
    16 years ago

I personally wouldnt own a Dyson, but If I were to purchase one I would stay from the Ball models. I watched a friends wife try to vacuum up rice off of the carpet with one and she had to go over it several times

• countrymile
    16 years ago

I've been researching Dyson lately as I'm in the market for a new vacuum. All the "Animal" models have the lowreach floor tool and the mini-turbo brush. All the "All Floors" models have the dusting brush plus other crevice attachments. None of the Dysons come with all of the attachments.

The DC7 weighs about 19 lbs, the DC14 18 lbs. and the DC18 15 lbs. The DC17 is super heavy at 33 lbs. I did not research the Ball models as I was not interested in them.

The difference between the DC7 and the DC14 is the pick-up functionality as detailed earlier in this thread, and the fact that the DC7 has a regular wand for attachments whereas all the later Dysons have the telescopic wand.

The new DC18 slimline comes in the All Floors model. It does not come in an "Animal" model.

Since the mini-turbo brush is the most important attachment for me (and is $60 if purchased separately), I'm planning to buy the DC14 Animal model and purchase the dusting brush and other crevice tools separately.

Hopes this helps a bit -- it took me a bit of research to figure out all the differences. :-)

• graywings123
    16 years ago

The more research you read about dust, specifically Dust Mite Feces and pet dander the more concerned you will become. When you vacuum you disturb the dust for 2 plus hours. It floats throughout your household. Children's lungs are not as developed as adults and suffer greater effects.

This situation occurs with whatever vacuum you use.

Bagless vacuums can not create a sealed system.

I don't know what a sealed system is defined as. What government or industry standard does a vacuum cleaner have to meet to be able to call itself a sealed system?

Also most people don't realize that, despite what you are told, a bagless was invented FOR THE CONSUMER to save you $30 a year on bags. They were really invented for the RETAILER! It's all about market share. Now they could sell vacuums in Target, Home Depot, BB& Beyond etc. They no longer need a qualified salesmen, did not have to carry supplies or parts nor provide a service center. Sell'em and forget'em.

I don't care why my Dyson is bagless, I just like that I can easily empty it after every use and don't need to keep a supply of bags on hand.

Most bagless need their filters changed so often they end up easily costing the consumer more than bags do. Or they require messy clean ups or washing. I'm not saying a washable filter is good or bad but some people won't or just don't like it.

Yeh, those four minutes every six months to hold the filter under running water is a real killer. I don't know how I manage it. [Insert eye roll here.]

When I get some time I'll give my feelings on Consumer reporting magazines...let's just say I would take the word of a guy who repairs vacuums over a magazine.

I am not convinced that guys who repair vacuums are the best people to be recommending vacuums. You can build a bulletproof machine, but that doesn't make it the right choice for the average middle-aged woman who pushes it around twice a week.

I prefer to rely on my personal experience with my Dyson since 2003 and the overwhelming number of positive postings on internet forums by devoted Dyson fans. Go figure.

• lucky51
    16 years ago

graywings I wasn't sure if your welcome was an honest invite or just baiting me. Now I know. Sorry if anyone has rained on your parade. By all means revel in your choice and hopefully you took advantage of the BB&beyond coupons! I would then agree you got a great vacuum at a great price. But I still contend as a sales person it is my job to tell the customer the positives and the negatives. As for those 4 min washing filters every six months, maybe you don't mind but the "average middle-aged women who pushes it around twice a week" that you represent, will. (Insert two fingers into rolling eyes). As for an overwhelming positive responses, you've got to be kidding me,. Anyone who has read reviews (even in this forum) can see how many negative responses there are as well! This is a love/hate product. You never see so many negatives written on any other vacuum.

OK I understand the salesman as a hustler attitude but to have more faith in a TV pitchman or a soul-less corporation who workers make peanuts vs the Corp Exec's who make 400 x's the average worker over the advice of the working Joe, doesn't make sense to me, but whatever...

Now what is your personal experience on other vacuums? How many kinds? Why would your experience be a better recommendation than a store dedicated to a large selection of machines. Most people don't have access to any other vacuums other than what is shown on TV or Walmart. So in a choice between a Dyson compared to an Oreck or Hoover Tempo most people would love the Dyson. But there are some other really great vacuums available made with better quality materials and more reliable (ever wonder why there are so many refurbished Dyson's on the internet). I do understand price is unfortunately a consideration for many but If you want to see a fantastic cleaning upright Vac compare the tandem air Simplicity/Riccar units to whatever vac you are considering. Please don't pull I'm a corporate shill, card. I believe in giving the customer a choice, full disclosure and let them make the decision.

Go figure...

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I wasn't sure if your welcome was an honest invite or just baiting me. Now I know. Sorry if anyone has rained on your parade.

First time posters to a forum who push a product or criticize a product are viewed with suspicion, as they are sometimes sock puppets or drive-by posters with an agenda. Welcoming them is a non-confrontational way of signaling that they are new. Go to the threat entitled Kirby VS- Dyson to see what I mean.

By all means revel in your choice and hopefully you took advantage of the BB&beyond coupons! I would then agree you got a great vacuum at a great price. But I still contend as a sales person it is my job to tell the customer the positives and the negatives.

I shopped the internet and the stores for a year before the Dyson appeared on the US market. The top-rated Consumer Reports vacuum clogged in the showroom. The few bagless vacs before the Dyson required expensive replacement filters and were awkward to empty. My research included a trip to an independent vac shop, hoping to test drive some less known bagless vacs, a feature I specifically wanted. The owner said, "I would never sell a bagless vacuum." That comment demonstrates my point about why you can't necessarily rely on a vac shop expert's opinion - lack of agreement on what features are most important.

As for those 4 min washing filters every six months, maybe you don't mind but the "average middle-aged women who pushes it around twice a week" that you represent, will. (Insert two fingers into rolling eyes).

I was referring to myself. IÂm a middle-aged woman who vacuums twice a week.

As for an overwhelming positive responses, you've got to be kidding me,. Anyone who has read reviews (even in this forum) can see how many negative responses there are as well! This is a love/hate product. You never see so many negatives written on any other vacuum.

We women consumers who have Dysons love the machine. Vacuum cleaner reviewers hate it. Vacuum cleaner salesmen hate it. If you do a search of threads on this forum that contain the word Dyson, you will get three pages of threads, starting with the one with the most responses. That thread covers almost two years of opinions. The responses are OVERWHELMINGLY positive, and the few negative responses include comments from people who didnÂt buy the unit because they were talked out of it by a salesman.

OK I understand the salesman as a hustler attitude but to have more faith in a TV pitchman or a soul-less corporation who workers make peanuts vs the Corp Exec's who make 400 x's the average worker over the advice of the working Joe, doesn't make sense to me, but whatever...

IÂm not sure what your point is, but I bought my Dyson because of its features: no bags to replace, the washable filter, and the clear canister. In the hierarchy of whom to take advice from, I would value the opinion of lots of other women users over both a Corp Exec and a "working Joe" vac salesman.

Now what is your personal experience on other vacuums? How many kinds? Why would your experience be a better recommendation than a store dedicated to a large selection of machines. Most people don't have access to any other vacuums other than what is shown on TV or Walmart. So in a choice between a Dyson compared to an Oreck or Hoover Tempo most people would love the Dyson.

See my comment above about visiting an independent dealer. Prior to buying a Dyson, if I had been able to find a bagless vac that emptied easily and didnÂt require expensive replacement filters, and was comfortable for me to push (a 120 pound middle-aged woman), I would have bought it. Based on my criteria, what vacuum besides a Dyson would fit my needs?

But there are some other really great vacuums available made with better quality materials and more reliable (ever wonder why there are so many refurbished Dyson's on the internet).

I am not touting the Dyson as the best vacuum on the market. It is only the best FOR ME. Please point me to a better quality bagless vac that is easy to empty with a washable filter and a clear canister.

I do understand price is unfortunately a consideration for many but If you want to see a fantastic cleaning upright Vac compare the tandem air Simplicity/Riccar units to whatever vac you are considering. Please don't pull I'm a corporate shill, card. I believe in giving the customer a choice, full disclosure and let them make the decision.

As far as I know, Simplicity/Riccar doesnÂt offer a bagless vac, does it?

And, finally, I would still like to hear more about what a sealed system is defined as. I assume it has to do with the emission levels. What is the standard to be called a sealed system?

• justjustin
    16 years ago

::clears throat::
    I would like to just say that I completely agree with everything that graywings has to say.

To answer to your questions, Lucky, I am a man with resources. I have the ability to purchase any machine without finanical restraint and have done so (I own new a Kirby, Rainbow E2, Dyson and a few others). I have TRIED your *wonderful* Simplicity/Riccar brands and find them no better than your run of the mill Oreck brands in cleaning and ease of use. Would I buy one? Absolutely not. Not when I have a Dyson that can kick it's a**.

It is *MY* personal belief that in a *perfect* world everyone would have a Rainbow for big cleaning and a Dyson for daily chores. But that's just my $0.02.

Justin

• duajones
    16 years ago

Graywings, whether it be your intention or not, you are misleading people concerning the Dyson DC 07 Hepa filter being washable.I looked at my friends owners manual last night and on page 12 in the owners manual, it clearly shows 2 filters. Filter A is a lifetime pre motor filter and should be rinsed every 6 months, or sooner if you are vacuuming finer dust.
    Filter B is supposedly a lifetime Hepa filter. This filter is a permanent filter and does not require rinsing or replacement. Do not remove or attempt to rinse this filter.
    As I have mentioned before, the Hepa filter has a paper element and washing would ruin it. I personally removed the filter on my friends DC 07 that is less than 6 months old and guess what? It needs to be replaced. ( insert eye roll here)

• graywings123
    16 years ago

duajones - hi again! I see what you are saying. The sponge filter is washable, the paper cover on the holder for the sponge filter is washable, but the HEPA filter is not.

Dyson claims that the HEPA filter is a lifetime filter and doesn't give the consumer any directions for accessing it. What did you have to do to the machine to access it? Have you contacted the company to discuss this?

Would there be a noticable difference in performance (that the consumer could notice) if the HEPA filter were dirty?

(I'm reminded of my ancient Hoover upright that would have a layer of dust on it when I finished vacuuming.)

• duajones
    16 years ago

Dyson claims the filter is lifetime but I cant see how it could be any different from most paper element hepa filters. My friends vacuum, whom I accessed using a couple of small slot screwdrivers, also had hair on the face of the filter, which obviously means that it got by the pre filter and through the motor. I also believe that a dirty filter diminishes air flow and performance of the machine. I am not sure how much the average comsumer would notice concerning performance, but then again I also dont believe the Dyson is an effective vacuum cleaner on carpeted surfaces with a brand new filter. My point is that the Dyson is mediocre at best on carpet and in my opinion it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out. And while some absolutely love it for its features ( bagless, supposed lifetime filters, etc) I dont understand how people can rave about a vacuum that just doesnt clean well, at least on carpet anyways. And also talk about how much money they save on bags. The same people that dont even realize that the hepa filter does need to be changed occassionally. If all I had was a couple of area rugs and the rest were hard surfaces, I might consider it if it were in my budget and pet or human hair and dander werent an issue. The bottom line is there are much better cleaners available in the same price range and I truly believe that the best vacuums on the market for carpet are both bagged and upright. Just my .02 cents
    I dont feel the need to contact Dyson to discuss it as I dont own one and would probably end up talking to someone that knows less about vacuums than I do. And that is coming from a consumer that has done their homework, not one that is trying to sell any particular brand.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

My point is that the Dyson is mediocre at best on carpet and in my opinion it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out. And while some absolutely love it for its features ( bagless, supposed lifetime filters, etc) I dont understand how people can rave about a vacuum that just doesnt clean well, at least on carpet anyways.

This sums up the disconnect between salesmen and consumers. You place a higher value on performance, while we place a higher value on features. Consumers may say they want the machine that picks up the most dirt, but they will accept a decrease in performance in favor of features that please them.

It isn't as nonsensical as it seems. I doubt that anyone believes that they are bringing their carpets to some level of sterile cleanliness by vacuuming. If you vacuum half of your wall-to-wall with the best vacuum available, and then vacuum the other half with a mediocre-at-best machine, you probably can't tell the difference by looking at the carpeting. BUT, the mediocre-at-best Dyson is going to 1) give visual feedback that it is working (the clear canister) and 2) give (me) the satisfaction of removing it from the house immediately after.

Here is a question: if you vacuum slower and go over the carpet repeatedly with a mediocre-at-best vacuum, will you get the near-same results as with one that is picking up more efficiently?

I turned my Dyson over and located one screw on the bottom where the washable filter is located, but I did not see another screw. Where is the second one?

• duajones
    16 years ago

The hepa filter is located directly under the dirt container. There are no screws involved. You basically have three areas to lightly pry to remove the filter.

• elphaba_gw
    16 years ago

Well, I don't think I'll be buying a Dyson anytime soon. Does seem to be the focus of a love/hate relationship. I want ALL love, LOL. Guess I'll keep my Miele for now. It is more fragile than I like, seems to have too many problems with our heavy cleaning requirements (we have two large shedding dogs). But the Vacuum cleaner shop is just down the street. Guess I will keep it for a while longer until they make the perfect vacuum cleaner.

I also would like not having to buy bags but I tried the bag-free type of vacuum (at least three different brands but not Dyson yet) and decided the technology just wasn't there yet. Sounds like there is still a ways to go.

I really appreciate everyone who has posted.

• lucky51
    16 years ago

I've re-read my posts and I'm not sure if I have really communicated my points. I've said the Dyson is a very good vacuum at a very good price point. And yes Greywings I concur you bought the best vacuum for YOUR requirements. Pre-sale I would have told you all the positives and the downside of owning one but I would have sold you one according to your needs and felt good about it.

I still don't think you represent MOST mid-age women. You seem to have more of a pro-active attitude where I find many women who bring their machines to be fixed don't bother about maintenance

I don't understand why you're so upset with a dealer for not carrying a bagless. He is responsible to his customers. He has a reputation that his livelihood depends upon. He knows first hand all the problems bagless vacuums have. If someone comes away from his store unhappy they will not return and probably tell 2 people not to return as well. BUT... People can buy all the Euro-pro crap from Bed Bath & Beyond, be totally disappointed time after time, but STILL return to shop there. You shouldn't be upset with him you should actually be grateful. After all, misguided as you may see, he was only thinking of your best interest.

However, I am totally insulted that you feel a recommendation from person who repairs vacuums is worth less than a consumers opinion. Hope you don't buy your cars that way.

A sealed system is just as it says, totally sealed, ALL AIR passes through the filter system. No leaks. Can't find the guidelines (internet search engines are totally useless nowadays). But Vac companies test competitors products and hold them accountable and can back claims on their own products as well. ( Note Miele won it's lawsuit against Consumers reports, which questioned the quality of it's filtration system)

I'd hoped to be a voice from inside the vacuum world without an agenda and I hope posters can use me for that.

• lucky51
    16 years ago

The following youtube address can help visually explain the sealed system BUT!!!!! I warn you this is a veiled demo for some guys store. I SWEAR THIS IS NOT ME!!! It is also comparing a $750-$1,200 dollar machine to a $300-$600 Dyson. I do think it is worthwile to see. Just stop the video when his ad comes on. Once again, do not view if you have a problem with a solicitation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ&feature=related