Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Home Starter Kit

Posted by mechanics (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 17:29

We'll be moving into our new home in a couple months and I want to be ready to keep it clean.

What products would you recommend for easy cleaning and maintenance if you were starting from scratch for the following:

granite countertops
white painted cabinets
stained cabinets
hardwood floors
ceramic tile floors and walls

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Home Starter Kit

Target sells a countertop cleaner for granite, and I really like it. I've been struggling to find something that works for my pre-finished hardwood floors. If your hardwood is prefinished, do NOT use oil soap nor wax. The oil soap will leave a film and the wax will build up. I've tried the Bona, and the jury is still out on it.

I recently purchased a Shark steam cleaner, and while some my love theirs, I did not. I was not pleased that it only had one steam port and the head did not swivel. I returned it, went to Amazon.com and bought a Haan. It has seventeen ports and swivels. Plus, the flat head fits under the kick plate of the cabinets. I love the Haan, and I think it is all I will be using on my floors.

Many people opposed to using a steam cleaner on hardwood,, and I would not use it on anything without a sealed finish, but the steam evaporates within 15 seconds max, and faster with the ceiling fans on high.

A steam cleaner should work for tile floors and walls as well. The one I bought coverts to hand held and has additional attachments.

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here