Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heat ring on table.

Posted by bledsoecreekgirl (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 08 at 17:07

I left a chafing dish with denatured alcohol burning in the warmer for several hours during a party.. When I moved the chafing dish, there was a ring exactly the same size as the base of the dish. Does anyone know of anything that might help remove the ring?I guess heat caused it. That's all I can possibly think of. It really does "screw up" my dining room table. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heat ring on table.

Sorry about your poor table! What is it made out of? Sounds like it got burned... If it's wood you can sand it down and refinish it, but I don't believe you can get a burn out by cleaning.

A table runner to hide the mark is also a less labor-intensive option.

Good luck!

o

I suspect it's not "burned" but rather just has the finish marred due to heat.
I think there is a product out there that works magic....waiting to be reminded of what it is.
Linda C

o

Linda, it is just marred...not burned, and Jane, unfortunately it's right in the corner so a runner won't work. A table cloth will work, but I don't always like that look. I hope Lindac can come up with the product to try. thanks a bunch, bledsoecreekgirl

o

Linda, is Liberon Ring Remover the product you mean? I am fascinated by this now. I found that, among other ideas, at the discussion I've linked below.

Bledsoecreekgirl, let us know if you find something that works- I've got a DH with a bunson burner!

Here is a link that might be useful: White heat marks on wood

o

I don't know if a heat ring reacts similar to a water ring on a table, but I know that rubbing wet cigarette ashes into a water ring helps it back to its original color. This is in mary ellen's book of helpful hints. You can look it up on amazon.com or at any bookstore.

Good luck

o

I just read yesterday that mayo mixed with a bit of salt will get rid of cup rings, although it did not specify if the rings were from water or heat. It said to rub it on and leave for 24 hours then wipe off. I don't know if it works or not. I do think I have heard of this before though. I just searched on this and they have it online as a remedy for heat or water rings, they say to leave it on over night, and mixing salt with the mayo is not mentioned.

Joanne

o

awh..that really stinks!! I use a product called restore-a-finish. I haven't used it on a heat ring, but they claim it will take it out. I had great results on some antique pieces with white "marks". Comes in different shades to match your wood, and it will not change the color of the original finish, blends right into it.
here is a link..you can get it at home depot..
Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: restore a finish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here