Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ... Dog peed in my shoes!!!

Posted by owl_at_home (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 07 at 16:49

Hi,
This is my first visit to the cleaning forum.
I have a pair of leather shoes that I discovered today have been peed in/on by one of my dogs. It could have been a cat, but I'm pretty certain it was a dog. I THINK it happened last night.
One in particular was literally full of urine. I had to pour it out. My question is, what in the world should I do???

If they were tennis shoes, I know I could throw them in the washer, but they are nice leather pumps. They are black, Mary Jane style, and have a suede flower on the strap.
I could wipe them down and set them out in the air for a while, but I know the urine has soaked into the soft insole part, and I imagine they will smell whenever they get warm.

Can I put them through a gentle cycle in the washer?? Keeping in mind that one at least has already been soaked in urine?
Help, please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ... Dog peed in my shoes!!!

I wouldn't try washing them. Can you replace the insole?

I keep my eye silk on the vanity is that redundant?

o

They would probably clean up with an enzyme cleanner like Nature's Miracle, but I would toss them....and then try to find out which one of the critters did it.
Linda C

o

Toss 'em.

How is a person suppose to find out which one of the critters did it? What can you do, sit them all down and have a frank discussion with them?

o

Toss them, the urine has soaked into the leather as well as the insole. Yuk! how could you wear them out and feel comfortable knowing any minute the odor will be reeking!!! Also think of how sanitary your shoes are now.

Sorry for the bad news, sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and toss and then make sure our shoes are not available for future "pee" sessions!!!LOL!!

You could rinse shoes well under running water for a spell and let dry. Then spray with Lysol Spray, inside and outside, enough to drown the shoes, and hope it kills the germs and odor. Now you are ready to reek with smell of Lysol!! Ah! just toss them out and count your loss.

o

Yup. I'd toss them, too. I used to have a dog that would eat the insoles of my shoes if left in an available spot. The insoles must have contained the most concentrated "essence" of me he could find!

Was it a puppy or was it personal?

o

I'd rinse them using cold water and then rinse them with Nature's Miracle for dogs. Let sit for a day and them stuff with newspapers to speed up the drying process. Might have to stuff them a few times.

Once they are dry, you will have to decide if they are worth keeping. They may be goners.

o

I doubt if you'll ever get the smell out if it went down into the sole. I'd recommend you throw them out. Been there with tennis shoes and guess what, not even bleach, Tide and hot water removed the smell!!

o

I don't care how well they were cleaned, I could never wear them again. Another vote for tossing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here