Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grease stains on clothes

Posted by SRiordanLaw (SRiordanLaw@gmail.com) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 15:38

It seems no matter how hard I try not to get grease stains on my shirts, it still happens. I've tried every spot cleaner, soaking, and even hand cleaner. I know they are harder to get clean after you wash them once...but does anyone have a secret trick? Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grease stains on clothes

I guess it depends on what kind it is. Years ago when I got oil of some kind on my clothes I rubbed corn starch on the spot right away and let it set. I also used it on wallpaper or painted surfaces. Always worked for me. If it is grease as in motors, I never noticed any on my husbands work clothes. He loved working on mechanical things, but don't remember any stains after they was washed. He did work in older clothes so it wouldn't have matter if they were stained.

o

I keep an old toothbrush and a bottle of Dawn dish liquid by the washer. I scrub a little of the soap in any stains - wash in hot water if the fabric will take it, and almost everything comes out just fine.

o

I spray the stain with Awsome from the dollar store. It will take out almost any stain.

o

Oxyclean stain remover removes oil from clothes and does not remove the color.

o

I swear by dish soap (the kind for hand washing dishes- I keep a cheapo bottle in the laundry room for this, but Dawn is awesome). This often will even take out stains that have gone through the washer and dryer. After working the soap into the stain a little, I usually let it sit for an hour or so and then launder. Sometimes it takes a second try, but most seem to come out.

o

My in-laws owned a restaurant and for tough grease that does not come out with dawn, use Lestoil. Yes, Lestoil. It stinks to high heaven so I usually try dawn first. But it has gotten out every single grease stain. A friend washed chapstick with new ski pants, and lestoil got it all the stains out. I put it into a small water bottle with a sports top and dab it onto the grease stains. Good luck!

o

I second using Awesome from the Dollar Store. The stuff is unbelievable & I use for everything including carpet stains. This is the best all purpose cleaner I have ever used. Every time I use it on stains in my laundry, I am amazed when they come out nice & clean.

o

spray the stain with Awsome from the dollar store. It will take out almost any stain.

This product is truly awesome...removes grease stains from clothing new or old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here