Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Old Hardwood Floors

Posted by lisa_wi (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 15:29

We are moving into an older house next week. The whole first floor is original 1929 maple. I was thinking about getting a steamer like the Eureka, but after further research I'm worried that it isn't a good idea because of the age and space between the boards. I currently have a swiffer and refill the bottle with my own solution. I also own a Hoover Floormate. I was considering a Bona also. Before cleaning the floors I always vacuum with my canister and will continue with that. What do you recommend for mopping?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Old Hardwood Floors

You should pose this question on the Old Houses forum.

I believe you need to figure out what kind of finish is on the floors. It could be varnish, it could be wax, it could be that someone came along and applied polyurethane. There are sites on the internet that will tell you how to figure out what the finish is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor finishes

o
RE: Cleaning Old Hardwood Floors

Hardwood floors are one of the easiest flooring types to keep clean. Unlike carpeting, hardwood floors require minimum maintenance and can last for many years. Clean hardwood floors that run throughout a house can make the house look both beautiful and spacious. Maintenance methods to clean hardwood floors should not differ among types, but some finishes may require extra care when removing stains.The quickest and most effective way to clean hardwood floors is with a damp mop. Before mopping, make sure that you have removed all surface dust from the floor. This can be done with a soft broom or lightweight vacuum cleaner. Then, simply mop, rinse and repeat. It is important to remove grit and dirt from hardwood floors. Dirt and grit are the biggest enemies when it comes to scratching or scouring the floor finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here