Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justretired_gw

Favorite gadget or product-Please tell!

justretired
16 years ago

Hi.

As I was Swiffering my hardwood and ceramic floors this morning I was thinking about how much I like my Swiffer. That got me thinking about what other gadgets or products are out there that could make my or someone else's life easier. Maybe something I have passed by in the store not wanting to invest in yet another thing that sits around and is not used.

So, what little doo--dad or can/bottle of stuff do you use that you think is just the BEST? Please share........

JR

Comments (32)

• jannie
    16 years ago

I love my Swiffer WetJet for cleaning my kitchen floor, which is Marmoleum (linoleum over cork). I sweep first, then Swiffer and my floor looks brand-new ,two years after installation.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Handsdown, my Dyson Slim vacuum. It is the best I have ever owned! It is very easy to manuver because it is a ball type rather than having little wheels. I can go from carpet to tile with just a push of a button at the top of the machine. It is easy to carry up and down the stairs because it weighs under 16 lbs. It is very easy to empty, and does not cause dust to fly all over when emptying. And The hose is long enough to reach to the top of my stairs. Best of all, unlike many other light weight vacs I have tried, this one actually does suck (up dirt that is)!

Joanne

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

I bought one of the canister-type steam cleaners. LOVE IT! I don't like to use chemicals to clean and this thing is just amazing! It cleans stuff I never even realized was dirty!

• carolpolki
    16 years ago

I have tile floors all over my house. Here's what works for me. (1) O-Cedar dust mop (yellow)...it's wide and easily maneuvered into corners etc.; it picks up sand and everything else. I move the crud into one place and then I use my (2) Oreck carpet sweeper (mechanical) to pick it all up. So now I have no dirt residue anywhere. Next, I use my (3) Swifter, wrapped with a terry towel, wrung out so it's damp but not sopping wet, and clean the floors quickly and easily. Takes no time at all. Voila! Clean and beautiful tile floors. Would work on wood also.

• justjustin
    16 years ago

My Rainbow vacuum. Just because it's the neatest thing in the vacuum world to watch work.

Functionally my Dyson upright is a great gadget. It cleans wonderfully and is easy as pie to use.

Justin

• eteinne
    16 years ago

abear 1271

What brand did you purchase? I have been looking for the last few months as my old "Steam Buggy" died. That did not work very well and there were no wheels on it so you had to carry it around with the shoulder strap. The thing was was too hot for that. Thanks

• wiredgirl
    16 years ago

I'm with ebear, I bought a canister steam cleaner five years ago and love it to this day. I have a Euro Pro and it still works like a charm.

• bodiCA
    16 years ago

Scooba! I don't ever want to be without this great helper! It does not move the dirt around, it truely removes it leaving the floor 'white glove' clean! It can not do corners or edges. I use a white towel behind my Scooba to edge/corner/and polish. THE Best Investment I ever maid, made!

• zipster
    16 years ago

I love my Shark Steam Mop, Scunci steamer, Dirt Devil Stick Vacuum, plastic roll garlic peeler and Microfiber cloths. I should be getting my Lotus sterilizer today and will let you know how I like that. Oh almost forgot my dishwasher which is a Whirlpool.

• doughboylvr
    16 years ago

There are 2 products that I would and do recommend to my friends and family. The first is made by Dawn-believe it is called direct dissolve. It works WONDERS on dried up grease on pots and pans and I also use it to clean my stove top..you know those little yellow grease specks that build up on wall and knobs.
    The second one is anything made by ZEP-sold at HomeDepot. I use the carpet cleaner in my hoover and it gets EVERY spot up. I have also used their degreaser at my pizza store I own to clean ceiling tiles and it did WONDERS!!

• maimie
    16 years ago

doughboylvr, I agree & I think you are referring to Dawn Direct foam. Wld not be w/out it! I will now try out your rec for ZEP. Thanks.

• melindy
    16 years ago

It's not a cleaning product, but I love my Keurig one cup coffee maker. The coffee is great, I can have a fresh hot cup each time, and can also have a cup of hot water if I want for other uses. In my previous house, the best gadget was the instant hot water dispenser.

• justretired
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So far it sounds as though I am going to have to think about a steamer (and read all of the previous posts about them) and buy some Dawn Direct! I am enjoying reading about everyone's favorite things...

JR

• Zoe52
    16 years ago

Ditto on the Keurig one cup coffee maker.. but if you are a true coffee connisseure (sp?) it may not be to your liking

I love my Sharp Steam mop, but it is out on warranty as it fell down and broke... ah 4-6 weeks before it is back I will be stir crazy by then

• jobird
    16 years ago

Glide Sweeper for the floors and Lemi Shine for removing hard-water,calcium deposits from dishes.

• rosie_2006
    16 years ago

Love my squeegie and squirt bottle. I use the squeegie (the thing that you clean car windows with) on my shower doors after taking a shower....no soap scum buildup. I squirt my shower walls once a week with a solution of water and bleach and use the squeegie to clear it off. Never had any soap buildup or mildew.

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

LOVING my microfiber cloths (a new find for me) and my Shark/Euro Pro canister steam mop/cleaner! Oh, and a simple alcohol/water/dishsoap solution for my granite and SS appliances! It's cheap and leaves everything sparkling!

• cearab
    16 years ago

I love a cleaner called Greased Lightening. It's great in the kitchen, and excellent on the laundry. Just be careful with it on wood floors, as it will damage the finish. I have to say by far, that is the best cleaning product I have found. I also love the microfiber cloths and Dawn.

• tlm04
    16 years ago

The swiffer wet jet is by far my favorite cleaning gadget!! I really dont know what I would do without it these days... everything else is just too much work... This is not only quick and easy but it also works extremely well!! I would def. recommend this for everyone to have esp.in their kitchen!!

-TLM

PS- In case your looking to buy one and see exactly what this is that a lot of people are talking about check out the link I attached to this post it is very useful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swiffer Wet Jet Video Review!

• arvlyn
    16 years ago

Totally agree with cearab, Greased Lightning is my holy grail cleaning product.

I first bought it just because of the name, but have continued to buy it for years because of the results. It cleans things that nothing else ever came close to and so quickly and easily too.

• fishers2008
    16 years ago

What does everyone use this Greasted Lighting stuff for? I've never heard of it however I'm tempted to buy it after reading this.

Lori

• cearab
    16 years ago

You can use Greased Lightning for cleaning many different items. For example, the range top and hood. It's great at removing grease, especially built up and gunky grease. I use it on my white kitchen (not wood) cabinets. I clean my countertops and stainless sink with it. It removes instantly the hairspray that builds up on my ceramic tile floors in the bathroom.
    Not too long ago, I discovered it to be an extremely effective stain remover (pre-wash) for the laundry. it seems to work on all kinds of stains.
    I did, unfortunately, set a bottle of it which had a small leak (I didn't know) on my wood floors and it leaked and damaged the floor. I discovered you have to be very careful with it on wood surfaces.
    Pick up a bottle and give it a try.

• fishers2008
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the info! I tried to pick up a bottle today at WalMart but the guy told me they don't carry it. I'll try Target tomorrow. I need a good stain remover for my laundry. I love this thread - bought some Dawn Direct today. It's sad when you get all excited to use a new cleaning product!!

Lori

• chickadeead
    15 years ago

Microfiber cloths are the most amazing things. They have really simplified my cleaning routine, improved the results, and helped me get rid of cleaning chemicals in my home. I also love my microfiber mop.

• pennij
    15 years ago

How does the shark steam mop disinfect and sterilize floors? There was another gadget on the infomercial the other night that is suppose to disinfect and sterilize by combining the additive to the water. The two mixes just before the steam sprays out. However, I can't recall the name of the gadget. Has anyone else seen it?

• dianne47
    15 years ago

I bought a Roomba 550 at Costco last week and have to say I'm mad for it. I loathe "doing" floors with a passion. We don't wear shoes inside our house, so that helps keep the carpet and tile a LOT cleaner. But I was astounded at the amount of fine dirt/dust/lint the Roomba picked up. I had to clean "him" out twice during his session (called a mission) in the family room.

My husband thought I'd lost my mind when I came home with the Roomba, but he has to admit it's a great gadget. I don't mind all the innards maintenance at the end of each mission - it sure beats shoving my insanely heavy vacuums around the house. Next purchase will be either a Scooba or a Dirt Dog, and I want all three! I'm sure all my tile is very dirty and could really benefit from a Scooba.

My cousin, the hard-flooring queen of clean, bought a Shark steam mop and says it just doesn't do the job on her whole house of wood flooring. She got a Floor Mate last week and I'm waiting for her verdict in it. She's going to give me the steam mop for our new travel trailer, she says it will be fine for such a small area to clean.

• elbits
    15 years ago

I buy the orange ZEP. I spray it on the Intex pool filter cartridges. I have a cartridge thats 8 years old from the 1st pop up pool I bought in 2000 and its so clean like I just bought it off the shelf at Walmart.

• jobird
    15 years ago

Is this the orange ZEP you're talking about:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1420145}}

• elbits
    15 years ago

Yes, thats it! Good stuff I tell ya! :) I also spray my sinks with it.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I love my Hoover carpet shampooer. I researched carpet shampooers on this site and found people thought they worked well. So I ran over to our Home Depot and bought this one. It has paid for itself already the first month. I love being able to clean our light rug as soon as it gets dirty instead of needing to set an appointment and cringe at the cost, so then I stretch out the cleaners coming trying to save a little, which I don't like doing. I shampoo the rug before heading off to bed, set out our large box fan to dry the rug, and it is dry by morning.

• cearab
    15 years ago

I bought an inexpensive ($100) Bissel rug shampooer 5 years ago, and have to say it is one of the best investments I have ever made. It's not top of the line, just a basic model, but I use the Bissel brand cleaning solution in it and it does a very good job. I am sometimes horrified by the color the water is when it gets sucked back out of the rugs. I do the same thing sheilajoyce does. I do my bedroom carpets about 10 at night, and wake up to completely dry rugs in the morning without fear of walking on them while they're wet and getting them dirty again.

• the1behindu
    15 years ago

Magic erasers... I use them on everything. They remove dirt and grime from bathtubs, rust and stains that other cleaners wont and even remove scuff marks on walls and floors.