Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning tar off of vinyl floor

Posted by marian-m (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 07 at 14:55

Can anyone give me a solution for cleaning tar off a vinyl floor? The road in front of our home is "tar and chipped" and the residue is getting tracked into the house on shoes. My vinyl floor in our mudroom has specks of tar that just won't scrub up. I don't know of a product that will clean the tar without damaging the floor. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning tar off of vinyl floor

Did you try using a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge?

-Grainlady

o

Goof off or WD 40

o

The WD-40 works like a charm! Thank you!

o

I was going to suggest WD 40 or skin so soft by avon... that is what I use to get tar from our white car.

o

Lighter fluid will remove it right away.

Never recommended the Mr Clean magic scrub which is nothing more than a fine abrasive sandpaper and likely to dull anything used on unless porceline or glass.

o

Don't use Mr Clean magic eraser on vinyl floor.
I did and it totally makes a dull mark on the finish.

Use WD 40 - it wipes off so easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here