Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bleaching Concrete?

Posted by lafilmfan (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 14:10

I have a question which I haven't seen adressed in any of the forums. It may not be purely a cleaning question, but I think this is the best forum.

About a year ago, my city laid new sidewalks on the street. Everyone else got whiteish gray sidewalks and it all looks nice. Unfortunately, right in front of my building, the sidewalk has very large black or dark brown blotches. I've waited about a year for them to fade, but they are definitely permanent.

I've written to the city as well as the concrete contractor the city used, and I've heard nothing back at all. So my question is, can I do something about this myself? Is there any way to bleach out the dark blotches in the sidewalk? Would I rather need to cover them up in some fashion? I would guess that turning them whiter is the easier thing to do, but I'm really at a loss here.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bleaching Concrete?

I don't think anything will bleach concrete. Contact your city again. Or you can paint concrete.

o

I just cleaned my concrete in front of my garage, I couldn't stand how dirty it looked but I refuse to use toxic cleaners like bleach outside the home, a friend recomended a eco-safe product called mold & mildew wash by wash safe industries, I soaked it down, let it sit for a while then scrubbed it with a deck brush and hosed it off. It's white as can be, maybe it will work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.wash-safe.com

o

Under my deck is a concrete patio that would get awful, yukky, stained from wet leaves that sat over the winter.
Clorine bleach fixed it in an hour or less.
And remember that "toxic" clorine bleach is the same thing that's in your swimming pool, some dishwashing detergents and used to purify some municipal drinking water.
Just pour on the bleach, let it dry and rinse.
BUT if the stain is paint or oil or tar, it won't touch it.
Linda C

o

It's not a stain per se. The concrete in this area was never uniformly whitish/gray. It cured with dark blotches over about half of it. So I don't think it needs to be cleaned, it really needs to have the concrete bleached out or maybe recoated with concrete? Would that work?

o

We have a concrete sill that is dingy looking and some stain marks on our lannonstone that surrounds our front door - my husband cleaned them both with CLR and they look good as new. He had to do a little scrubbing with a wire brush, but with a little patience it looked good as new. Hopefully the colors you are referring to aren't permanent.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here