Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmnolen

Best Vacuum for Hardwood Floors?

gmnolen
13 years ago

I am curious as to what vacuum GW'ers would recommend for hardwood floors?

Comments (9)

• geguymw
    13 years ago

If your are vacuuming floors, and do not have carpeting to vacuum, a suction-only canister vacuum will works well. There are not alot of requirements. You want to decide what features work for you. A quieter vacuum will be more comfortable to use in a room without carpeting.

• geguymw
    13 years ago

The OP is asking for a vacuum for hardwood floors, so why would you recommend a Hoover Tempo upright for a person who presumably only had floors? There is no need for an upright vacuum cleaner, that has a belted brushroll,for hardwood floors. I can see it if the person has carpeting and floors to vacuum. Also, there is no brushroll on/off switch.

Using a suction-only vacuum is easy to use on floor. Having a floor attachment, at the end of the wand, makes vacuuming around the floor easy and quicker than an upright. The floor brush can move in between table legs and furniture without having to move anything. The floor brush can get under beds whereas the upright cannot, unless you have a high-sitting mattress set. The floor brush requires about 2-3" of clearance and the Tempo requires about 8".

If anyone cringes at the thought of pulling around a canister vacuum cleaner, there is a solution. If you only have floors to vacuum, look at a medium to full sized stick vacuum. I do not recommend those "toy-like" stick vacs.

Going from expensive to cheap, you have Sebo, Lindhaus, Miele,Emer, Simplicity and Riccar. There are a few others.

• fabbric
    13 years ago

I heart my Miele for my hardwood floors. You can adjust the suction for furniture and drapes. Only downside is the bags are a bit small but they still manage to hold a lot until the suction indicator goes completely red.

• jannie
    13 years ago

For hardwood floors, I can recommend the Eureka Bagless "Boss".My daughter hasne and it works great, very fast and easy to use. It's basically what I'd call a Stick-Vac. Perfect for hardwood floors and areaugs. Not powerful suction, but it quickly does the job.

• bgibi
    13 years ago

I love my Miele cannister vac. Great suction, swivel head to get everywhere. Lightweight, extra tools. Rubber wheels. Love it!

• lizbeth-gardener
    13 years ago

We just moved into a house with about all hardwood and tile one year ago. After much research, we bought a Meile canister and would highly recommend it. It is the best vacuum I have ever owned. It has a swivel head that will lay almost flat to get under beds and furniture. It has rubber wheels and is very easy to pull around behind you. It has many nice features. You might want to go to a shop that sells some of the Meile, Riccar, Sebo, etc. and try them out. HTH

• lizbeth-gardener
    13 years ago

Sorry for not noticing the OP date--don't know why these get pulled up so much later!

• musicteacher
    11 years ago

We bought a Hoover professional grade vaccum (cannister) that you "wear" with waist belt and or shoulder strap. Had to order from a janitorial supply. Read the reviews. It has a very long cord so I can do most of the house without moving the plug, and several attachments for dusting, couches, etc. It was cheap, around $100 maybe less, and gets the job done fast. The only downside is that after a couple of vaccuming days you have to emply the small dust bag by hand. Yukky. There are disposable bags but they are expensive. I still use my upright with the beater bars for the area rugs though.