Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gambleress

Dyson DC25 VS Hoover Platinum

gambleress
13 years ago

We are considering buying a refurbished Dyson ball from Best Buy or a Hoover Platinum. We don't want to spend much more than 300. We plan on using it mostly on our carpets which are medium pile. We do have hardwoods, but prefer a swifter on them. Our last vac was a very expensive simplicity canister and it lasted forever, but we are looking for a solid upright that can last several yrs for now.

Comments (14)

• lucky51
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In reference to the Dyson Ball...People would be shocked if they saw the quality of the wire used in it. The Yoke wire assembly is shorting out like crazy. I have several in my shop right now for repair. (Maybe this was the reason why the vacuum you are looking at needed to be refurbished?). Also I'm not sure why a "Ball" was even necessary. I have never had a customer mention they can't maneuver their vacuum around their furniture... BUT, I have heard from many that they want a vacuum that gets under furniture, which the ball can't.

Why not look at the Simplicity F or Freedom series vacuums. You have had success with this company before, so why not support them, an American made and owned vacuum rather than than the Malaysian made Dyson or the Chinese made and OWNED Hoover.

• msi9670
    13 years ago

Go with the hoover platinum, there is not a bagless vac anywhere that just doesn't put at least half the dust back in the air you breath

• geguymw
    13 years ago

Lucky51;

In one respect, I believe the same way. I can vacuum just as well without the ball feature. But I can also include every vacuum out there that claims the same thing. That includes Miele, Sebo, Electrolux, etc. Isn't it true that you sell Miele and Sebo? How do you sell people on the Miele S7 uprights and the Sebo Felix? They both promote the same thing Dyson promotes. Miele and their "Swivelneck". Sebo and the Felix with its "'flex' neck with amazing maneuverability".

Your next statement is ridiculous. You said, "You have had success with this company before, so why not support them, an American made and owned vacuum rather than than the Malaysian made Dyson or the Chinese made and OWNED Hoover." I wholeheartedly agree to purchase from someone you have had great success. What I do not agree with is making a purchase, because of it country of origin. I will explain why. It would be wonderful if we Americans could purchase our vacuum from companies right here, but we know they are dwindling. If we only purchased from these US companies, then the same thing should be true for people in China,Japan, UK, Germany Australia, and so on. That also means that the US will block Sebo, Miele, Bosch from coming in. These are three brands that you sell or sold. That is not what the companies around the world want. They want to be "global".

Tacony, the company that owns Simplicity and Riccar vacuum cleaners has not always had their vacuums made in the USA. They still have a few that are still made in China and Korea. They are slowly switch production to the USA. Tacony has some other brands that are not USA-made. They are made in China. So are you saying no one should buy from you? Or, no on should support Tacony, because of who they do business with.

I can say that Hoover makes some very good vacuums, which happen to be made in China. The Hoover bagged lightweight upright is one vacuum cleaner that cleans very well. Hoover has some other models as well. Royal, also owned by the same as Hoover, has some good models also.

gambleress;

I like the Hoover you asked about. It will do a great job on carpeting and is not as loud as a similar designed Oreck,Riccar or Simplicity.

I am not sure if you still have your canister and use it for other jobs, besides carpeting. If you still have it, I would suggest that you find a factory refurb Hoover that you want. It will not come with the small compact vacuum. You can find this upright for around $150. I believe I saw one, from a reputable site for around $120.

One concern I have is with vacuum cleaner bag availability, for this model. They are harder to find. You cannot go to your nearest Walmart to find them. You could get them over the internet though.

If you wanted something like the Hoover, there is the Simplicity Freedom or Riccar Supralite upright(both from Tacony). They will clean well. I also like that there are two choices for bag filtration. If allergies are not a big concern, but price is, you could purchase the cheaper microlined bags.

I am not a fan of bagless unless there is quite a bit of animal hair to pick up on a daily basis.

If you have any questions, just ask.

• lucky51
    13 years ago

The Miele and Sebo were not posed in the original posters question.
    Call it Jingoism if you like but I would rather an American buy an American product if it fits their requirement. I also stated that the quality of materials especially the wire used in Asian vacuums is not what I would want, why would I want it in my customers vacuum. They do have the right to choose their own vacuum and I will sell the customer what they want after they have been given the choices. That you find this "ridiculous" I can't help. That you support globalism it's your choice. When a country like China has out and out said they will never buy more product than they export from a country, it speaks volumes to me. When someone sneezes all the way across the world and it causes the price of gasoline to rise says something as well. When CEO's make huge pay and bonuses by exporting jobs at the expense of the American Middle Class sorry, it bothers me. Few things bother me more than a person in a foreign car, parked in a Box store parking lot before they run to the "Hey Government where's the job creation?" Rally.

• msi9670
    13 years ago

great post luck51

• geguymw
    13 years ago

Lucky51;

First, I used Miele and Sebo to prove my point, because they too have a feature for better maneuverability, just like Dyson. You brought up that people really do not ask about it. I wondered how you sell the Miele S7 uprights and the Sebo Felix. You sell that feature on those two brands. You just do not like Dyson.

I also used Miele, Sebo, Bosch, and Tacony, because you do not care for Chinese vacuum cleaners and companies owned by the Chinese. Plus, you do not like vacuums made in other countries. You believe it is better to purchase USA-made vacuums. Yet you sell Miele, Sebo, Bosch(when sold here) and Tacony brands. You sold Chinese and Korean made Simplicitys. Did your store also sell the Chinese made Mieles?

You see, I am trying to prove a point to you and others and I think I did. The world is changing. Not all Chinese vacuums are bad. Some are are really good. The Hoover, mentioned by OP is really good. Users also like the Hoover upright. But you think she should not get it, because it is owned by the Chinese and made in China.

Talking about Hoover. It was sold to Chinese, because of Whirlpool stockholders. Why didn't the Hoover employees, vac collectors, etc. have Maytag stock(before Whirlpool purchased) or Whirlpool stock(after purchasing Maytag) and save Hoover? Each share of stock is a vote. They also could have banded together and started a company and purchased Hoover.

Don't just blame the CEO's. Alot of the time, stockholder vote for a sale of the company. How much do you want to bet Americans were stockholders in Maytag and Whirlpool. Stockholders usually just want to make sure their stock makes money. They will agree to the sale, if it benefits them,IMHO.

Your way of thinking is not the way the companies of the world are thinking, sorry to say. It would be great to have American-made appliances and electronics only, but that would mean you could not sell Miele and Sebo. Some things we cannot change. I would suggest that you create your own vacuum cleaner company.

As for some other things like the "sneezing felt across the world" thing, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Amen! But again, we are talking about individuals. You have speculators guessing every time someone "sneezes". I hate it. What happens? People, who have money, make oil purchases, which drives the cost up. Oil companies do things too. I could go on, but will not. I could write a book.

msi9670;

Aren't you the guy that was telling posters to purchase "American-Made", "American-Owned" Aerus? You promoted that Aerus FreshEra, because it was American owned and made. I never read a reply from you, after I told you about the origins of it.

I should add that you need to find out who those investors of Aerus are. If Aerus is ever taken over or sold completely, it will not be "American".

• westvillager
    13 years ago

Between those two options, I'd consider the vacuum that offered the best warranty/service arrangement - preferably a manufacturer's versus another party's. If they're equal, the ball is actually a nice feature. B/c you'll be dry dusting the hardwood, both are suitable for average medium pile carpeting. Dyson won the patent infringement lawsuit against Hoover, if I recall correctly, but I think they employ a similar bagless, cyclonic technology.

My takeaway from the good debate above is to check expectations about what $300 will buy in 2011.

• lucky51
    13 years ago

Geez the last thing I wanted to do was get into a pissing match. I give responses to posters with my opinion and I back them with my reasons why. They are usually because I have worked on or used the product. Posters can take that or leave it. Don't know why that bothers you. While you give very good information you however don't give any reasons how you base your information. The best analogy is your opinions are like that of an academic while mine are from a professional. In actuality, you could have 30 years of experience and your own chain of stores... but, that's how you come off.

I repeat --- I try to sell my customers the best vacuum for their needs.

Lucky51;
    First, I used Miele and Sebo to prove my point, because they too have a feature for better maneuverability, just like Dyson. You brought up that people really do not ask about it. I wondered how you sell the Miele S7 uprights and the Sebo Felix. You sell that feature on those two brands. You just do not like Dyson.

I think the turning mechanism is a secondary selling feature on all of those brands. Here's the problem I have with you, while I realize anything put on a chat board is fair game, I find it distasteful you bring up personal information originally offered to a specific post and re-apply it to another, out of context. You create ASSUMPTIONS. The "You just do not like Dyson" is a perfect example. Can't recall when I said that. Saying I don't like how the company is run or that they use cheap wiring and they sell against their own dealers are opinions that don't make a definitive blanket statement. I evidently am an analytical thinker in contrast to you as a Concrete thinker. I see gray areas and degrees while you see black & white, yes or no, all or nothing. Were different so it's probably best to not comment on my opinions.

I also used Miele, Sebo, Bosch, and Tacony, because you do not care for Chinese vacuum cleaners and companies owned by the Chinese. Plus, you do not like vacuums made in other countries. You believe it is better to purchase USA-made vacuums. Yet you sell Miele, Sebo, Bosch(when sold here) and Tacony brands. You sold Chinese and Korean made Simplicitys. Did your store also sell the Chinese made Mieles?

The response to the OP who said she had great luck with a Simplicity before, I suggested for her to support that company again, because it is in my opinion a better product. If I didn't think so I wouldn't have suggested she buy it. The ADDED ADVANTAGE of giving support to an American company is not a bad thing in my opinion and I don't care that you and soulless companies don't care, I see my neighbors out of work.

You see, I am trying to prove a point to you and others and I think I did. The world is changing. Not all Chinese vacuums are bad. Some are are really good. The Hoover, mentioned by OP is really good. Users also like the Hoover upright. But you think she should not get it, because it is owned by the Chinese and made in China.

If buying American is bad and supporting Totalitarian Dictatorships is good because "that is the new world order, just accept it" we will have a difference of opinion.

Talking about Hoover. It was sold to Chinese, because of Whirlpool stockholders. Why didn't the Hoover employees, vac collectors, etc. have Maytag stock(before Whirlpool purchased) or Whirlpool stock(after purchasing Maytag) and save Hoover? Each share of stock is a vote. They also could have banded together and started a company and purchased Hoover. Don't just blame the CEO's. Alot of the time, stockholder vote for a sale of the company. How much do you want to bet Americans were stockholders in Maytag and Whirlpool. Stockholders usually just want to make sure their stock makes money. They will agree to the sale, if it benefits them,IMHO.

Yes I'm sure that investors would drop what they were doing for a living and start a company rather than make a quick buck off the backs of people they will never meet.

Your way of thinking is not the way the companies of the world are thinking, sorry to say. It would be great to have American-made appliances and electronics only, but that would mean you could not sell Miele and Sebo. Some things we cannot change. I would suggest that you create your own vacuum cleaner company.

Some more of that concrete thinking there Sparky.

PS The "start you own Vacuum company" was amusingly juvenile.

• msi9670
    13 years ago

lucky 51, everything bothers geguymw if you don't agree with his opinions,

• geguymw
    13 years ago

You are quite wrong. I give reasons quite often and you can even read it in this thread. What did I say about the Hoover Platinum bagged upright? I am really not offended, if I consider the source. I have been on this forum for quite a few years. Go ahead and take a look. Proof is there. I do not tell people what I do or how much experience I have. I give them advice, info, and more. It is then up to them to see if I am right and/or if the product is right for them. I am the last person to tell others to just "do what I say". I want people to be informed, but also take responsibility for themselves.

You have to understand that if you post more than once, people can get a better idea of you or anyone else. I do not say anything that is not on this forum. You first came on and said you have a vac shop, you have shown links to youtube, showing you work in a vac shop and what you sell. We know you sell Miele and Sebo. Also, we can glean from this forum, that you do not like "Big Box" stores. You believe in "Mom & Pop" stores. You believe people should buy "American" or you believe that people should not buy from Asian countries. Don't disregard Assumptions, because they are not bad or wrong. As you can see, I base everything on what I have read here. Can I also assume you do not think people should purchase from the internet?

Don't be surprised by discussions like this, because you will see it also with people and their love of Dyson or dislike of it. This is a discussion forum.

I would say that it would be great if everyone purchased American-made products, but it is not possible all of the time. The world is also changing. I am also not going to tell someone to purchase "American" if it is not such a good product.

I will take offense to calling my statement, "I would suggest that you create your own vacuum cleaner company" juvenile. Metropolitan started out repairing vacuum cleaners and selling parts. Now they have their own vacuum line. Tacony started out with parts, now they have different lines of vacuum cleaners. What is so juvenile about a company wanting to expand. If you believe in "American-made" and see a lack of, then fix it. Make your own "American-made", believe in it and sell it. How is that, Scooter?

• geguymw
    13 years ago

msi9670;

I do not appreciate the way you commented. Little girls, in the schoolyard, do that sort of thing.

You came on with misinformation, then I came on and clarified. Most people have at least said "Thanks!"

I have even waited for comments, but you choose to try getting at me by saying it to someone else.

Adults will sometimes disagree. That is life.

Would you like to discuss your exaggeration of the statement, "there is not a bagless vac anywhere that just doesn't put at least half the dust back in the air you breath."

• msi9670
    13 years ago

Don't care what your appreicate geguymw

• vacman1958_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Riccar advantage is fast turn around for my customers and free labor, try getting that from Hoover now they closed there factory service stores

• GammyT
    12 years ago

gambleress, what did you buy?