Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning granite countertop that has mouse droppings

Posted by makepar (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 12:25

the header says it. we have some persistant mice in our basement ant kitchen,
aside from proactive steps . . . what dis-infectant can i use on the countertop?
we've always used glass plus (no amonia(sp?)) to clean it. we were told not to use amonnia on it for cleaning . . . now i'm looking for a dis-enfectant to knock out the germs and their spreading potential.
does anyone have a safe and reliable product that will work on this countertop?
all suggestions greatly appreciated (so much for our dream kitchen!).
thank you robert a.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning granite countertop that has mouse droppings

Eeewww! I'd wipe down with a very diluted (ten to one) solution of bleach and water. That's what hospitals use on hard surfaces.

o
RE: Cleaning granite countertop that has mouse droppings

You should check with your local granite suppliers to be sure, but I think the problem with disinfectants on granite is that it could remove the sealer, which should be reapplied periodically anyway. Mine comes in a spray can and it just sprays on. So -- my point is you can disinfect, then reseal if necessary. But if you can't get rid of the nasty vermin, you'll have to keep doing it. Eucalyptus oil is a safe disinfectant, I think. You can mix it in a spray bottle with water. Whether it will be strong enough or if it will break down the granite sealer -- I'd check with the tile and stone experts on the kitchen forum. I use vinegar and water on my tile floors, but on sealed granite -- again, the kitchen people are a good source of information. You should get plenty of opinions anyway. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here