Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somepeabody1

How do you clean Dog Nose Prints

peabody1
16 years ago

Is there an easier way to clean dog nose prints off of windows, glass sliding doors, and plastic doggie doors? I've used vinegar, windex, lysol....but all require lots and lots of elbow grease and you have to keep spraying and spraying and spraying. Is there an easier way? I don't know what is in the residue that they leave behind, but it sure is hard to clean.

Comments (42)

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

I have the same problem with my French door and side windows. I use Kaboom the first pass around. It cuts through the dried dog nose and drool without any scrubbing. Let it sit for a minute. Then I can use regular glass cleaner for the no-streak clean up.

I use straight ammonia and a sturdy scrub brush on my patio where my large dog eats.

I've also heard that a paste of meat tenderizer and water will work, too.

• GammyT
    16 years ago

Hmmm... I just use plain old blue windex and don't let it build up.

Once a week does the trick and no elbow grease is required.

• gailee
    16 years ago

The Kaboom worked, thank you. One of the great things about this forum, is finding other people have the same problems as I do. I would never have thought to write in about my nose prints.L.O.L. Gail

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

I have a large drooling Yellow Lab. Once her "emissions" dry they are like epoxy! They are all over the floor, the glass, the patio. I've tried all kinds of things. Dishwasher detergent also worked because of the enzymes in it but it was too difficult to get the residue off. I was pleased to find that Kaboom did the trick.

• malia_2006
    16 years ago

All you need is a microfiber cloth and water. Get it damp under warm water and clean away. Just a simple wipe will remove all those nose prints in a flash, and leave any window or door sparkling. No streaks ever with these, and no chemicals either. Try it for yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: microfiber cleaning cloth

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I concur with Malia. It works wondefully.

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    16 years ago

OP said: "I don't know what is in the residue that they leave behind, but it sure is hard to clean."

Some might say it's hard to clean. I say, "No, it's snot."

Sorry, couldn't resist!

• macbirch
    16 years ago

LOL

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

Yep, the microfiber cloth with window cleaner worked nicely, too. I wouldn't use it with just water, I need to KNOW it's clean.

• christy2828
    16 years ago

I agree with the microfiber. Plus, if you have a toddler, just spray the window with water, leave her with the microfiber cloth and she'll have fun for at least 10 minutes!! And it is safe :) Christy

• grandmaquilts
    16 years ago

I bought two microfiber cloths at the dollar store yesterday - a dollar each and they work wonders.

• caroline94535
    16 years ago

I use Windex.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    16 years ago

After you get the windows clean (I've used a razor blade scraper...), apply Rain-X at doggie level. Future nose goo will bead up and roll off for months.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

I had to laugh when I came across this!! I think I am the queen of having nose prints! We have a Bernese Mtn Dog and 2 boxers-- when they are outside, they are standing with their noses against the door begging to come in and if they are inside, they are standing with their noses pushed against the inside of the door begging to go out!!

We have French doors that have all 15 individual windows for each door. What I found that works the best for me is to mix a few drops of dishwashing detergent mixed in a small bucket of warm water. I use a microfiber cloth to wash the windows and then dry with another microfiber cloth. My biggest problem is the dogs lick the windows LOL The cleaner the windows are, the more they like to lick them!! The boxers are the worst!! But they have also taught the berner some of their bad habits LOL

• catbird
    16 years ago

And I thought we were the only ones with nose prints on patio doors and windows. Our "chowbrador" leaves not only nose prints, but also huge muddy streaks after a rain. I'm going to try my microfiber window cleaning cloths (from Solutions.com) tomorrow! ;-)

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

I think people who don't have drooly large dogs don't appreciate how tenacious dog nose and drool can be.

• jannie
    16 years ago

Another vote for plain old blue Windex.

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

Windex doesn't cut Lab slobber either. LOL! Foam glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth does an okay job.

• acorn
    16 years ago

LOL and I thought it was only me. I tell everyone it is milk glass, saves time and windex.

• RikWCrlsn_aol_com
    13 years ago

Oven Cleaner does an AWESOME JOB!!! Spray let sit and wipe....

• brunosonio
    12 years ago

And we just have 2 little Jack Russells who leave nose prints everywhere in the house and cars...it still takes some elbow grease with Windex to get rid of them. I can imagine what some of the larger breeds would leave with their big noses!

• Wondergirl1958
    11 years ago

I carefully read all you helpful comments and tried a few but finally came across the easiest method ever -and I'm a very lazy housewife. Chux make a product called a Magic Eraser that cleans the gunk off in 2 minutes! All you do is just add water and then wipe it off. Follow up with a window cleaner like Windex and hey presto - you can see through again. I love my German short haired pointers and now I can have easily cleaned windows too.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

We have a big golden retriever who loves to pant and hang out the window in the SUV and my other dog will sometimes put his nose on the windows in the car. It's awful!!! Especially if we go on a run and she is really letting it all hang out dripping everywhere. Since she loves the window down so she can hang out (just her head) it's all over the side of the car too. People with small dogs have no idea!!! It's a constant cleanup on aisle 5!!! But I love my big girl, she is such a sweetie. It could be worse. She is rather clean about herself otherwise. She just loves the SUV and going for long hot walks. We have lots of water for her in the car and we rest on our walks if she chases too many squirrels and wears herself out. Fun for us both but lots of noses and drool to clean up. Going to try the Kaboom since I've tried all the other things.

• julie999
    11 years ago

Sprayway Glass Cleaner ;-)

• peabody1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is an old post, but I'll throw my two cents in here. I tried everything. Then I tried a microfiber cloth and a little water on it. The only thing that worked.

• andersj8
    7 years ago

Nothing is working.

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Anders - you need a Norwex glass cloth. I'm not trying to sell the product, but I bought one a month or so ago and it works amazingly. Wet it, wring it out tightly, and wipe. It's not like the microfiber that you buy at any store. Something is different and it works. No streaks and it cleans (baby snot and slobber too - and I have 2 small dogs).

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

I use a kitchen sponge to clean dog prints off glass. windex or vinegar, whichever spray bottle is with me. I just need the abrasion to get the smears off!

• thunderstorms
    7 years ago

I like to get a microfiber towel nice and saturated with water and a but of dish soap. Then I pop it in the microwave for a minute or so. Warming the towel makes slobber come off easy as pie. Then rewipe with streak free cleaner like Windex, ammonia water, vinegar, etc.

I warm towels and sponges for easier cleaning a lot. I also nuke my sponge for hand washing dishes for 2-2.5 minutes everyday. It never smells. But be careful about handling your sponge right away! It's HOT!

Just don't microwave dry sponges or towels, or microwave too long. You could start a fire, or burn yourself.

• emarie913
    6 years ago

I know this is an older post, but it seriously just saved my sanity. I have a dog who likes to lick our glass door when he's being excluded from anything going on outside. Yes, he's a little bit special. :-P

Anyone who says hot soapy water, windex, microfiber towel, etc. Doesn't have a real idea of how bad and how quick the build up can get... I've spent hours scrubbing and it still doesn't come off.

Until I read someone say they used KABOOM... Omg it is a miracle worker! Haha no scrubbing, no nothing.... Spayed it on, it turned white, I wiped it off.... I can't recommend this enough.

KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM.... TRY IT!!!! IT WORKS!!!

• Blue Onblue
    6 years ago

I just use glass cleaner. If the glass cleaner hasn't done the job I spray the glass with scrubbing bubbles and rinse.

• Janice Drouin
    6 years ago

I read 2 tbs of jetdry, 3 tbs of dawn, and 2 cups of water works. I almost went to store to get jetdry. Then I read about the kaboom. Searched and didn't have any but did have grease lighting. Worked like a charm!

• tracehess
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I used the Mr Clean magic eraser (kitchen foaming scrubber) with the blue in the center. Worked like a champ on the windows. Followed up with glass cleaner. The scrubbing pad also worked great on the dog door followed up with a wet paper towel.

• HU-466421157
    3 years ago

OK, everyone, my cocker spaniel is blind, so these nose prints are on wood furniture, so I have to be careful about ruining the finish. I had never even heard of Kaboom. Would that be safe on wood? And if not, then what should I try?

• brunosonio
    3 years ago

For fine wood furniture, I would use one of the Guardsman's products. They make an excellent deep cleaner that doesn't strip wood of its oil or finish. I use it once a year on all our natural cherry kitchen cabinets and our antique furniture. They also have a fantastic clean and polish product that doesn't have silicone and doesn't leave a greasy film. Both should cut thru the nose prints, even dried (basically mucous, which is water based.) I can usually find the Guardsman line at most furniture stores, some Lowe's and HD's, and our local Ace Hardware carries the full product line in both aerosol and pump. It's made by Valspar, and you can find more info at www.guardsman.com

• HU-466421157
    3 years ago

Thank you! I'll go get some as soon as the store are open!

• brunosonio
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You'll really like it! Both spray on like a foam, and then break down into a very thin watery fluid, so don't worry about that. It really cuts thru grease, grime, dirt, etc without harming the finish, whether a natural rubbed oil or varnish. I use it with a soft microfiber cloth or an old cotton t shirt. Because our kitchen is open to the great room, I'll use the deep clean product several times a year to get rid of any grease/dust film on the wood, especially our solid cherry cabinets which are oil rubbed with no stain. It doesn't affect the color and doesn't leave a super shiny finish like Pledge would. I found out about the product line from a friend who sold furniture for many years.

• HU-466421157
    3 years ago

Thank you so much! This seems to have worked beautifully, and was quite easy to do. I've been using Old English, which really did nothing, but it looked OK for a while. I never really noticed how soon I checked it again, but suspect it wouldn't have passed within hours. I did my large TV cabinet a few hours ago, and just did the rest of the tables in the living room. I'll make a point of examining them in the morning, but I'm confident they'll be fine. My dog goes to a veterinary opthalmologist, and in desperation, I even asked her for help. She had no idea what to do, but assuming this has truly worked, I'll let her know, and hopefully spread the work. There must be a lot of blind dogs running into things all the time! Again, thank you!

• brunosonio
    3 years ago

Great! Glad you found the product and that it seemed to work. I'll use the deep clean first, then use the polish after that to help seal it....that might also keep the new nose prints from "sticking" too much. Long time dog owner here also....Jack Russell's we've rescued over the years, so we get a lot of nose prints also LOL.

• HU-466421157
    3 years ago

I checked all the furniture this morning, and the only issues are places that I obviously missed. I'm thrilled! And I'll pick up some polish in the next few days, too. Hopefully that will keep me from having to do this too often, even though it really wasn't much of a job. Thank you again for the suggestion. It worked beyond my wildest dreams!

• HU-466421157
    3 years ago

Checking all the furniture this morning, I see some places that I missed, but for the most part, everything looks great! I'll get some polish too in the next few days, so thanks for that tip! Yes, I would think it would keep that buildup from getting so bad.