Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you clean Dog Nose Prints

Posted by peabody1 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 12:05

Is there an easier way to clean dog nose prints off of windows, glass sliding doors, and plastic doggie doors? I've used vinegar, windex, lysol....but all require lots and lots of elbow grease and you have to keep spraying and spraying and spraying. Is there an easier way? I don't know what is in the residue that they leave behind, but it sure is hard to clean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you clean Dog Nose Prints

I have the same problem with my French door and side windows. I use Kaboom the first pass around. It cuts through the dried dog nose and drool without any scrubbing. Let it sit for a minute. Then I can use regular glass cleaner for the no-streak clean up.

I use straight ammonia and a sturdy scrub brush on my patio where my large dog eats.

I've also heard that a paste of meat tenderizer and water will work, too.

o

Hmmm... I just use plain old blue windex and don't let it build up.

Once a week does the trick and no elbow grease is required.

o

The Kaboom worked, thank you. One of the great things about this forum, is finding other people have the same problems as I do. I would never have thought to write in about my nose prints.L.O.L. Gail

o

I have a large drooling Yellow Lab. Once her "emissions" dry they are like epoxy! They are all over the floor, the glass, the patio. I've tried all kinds of things. Dishwasher detergent also worked because of the enzymes in it but it was too difficult to get the residue off. I was pleased to find that Kaboom did the trick.

o

All you need is a microfiber cloth and water. Get it damp under warm water and clean away. Just a simple wipe will remove all those nose prints in a flash, and leave any window or door sparkling. No streaks ever with these, and no chemicals either. Try it for yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: microfiber cleaning cloth

o

I concur with Malia. It works wondefully.

o

OP said: "I don't know what is in the residue that they leave behind, but it sure is hard to clean."

Some might say it's hard to clean. I say, "No, it's snot."

Sorry, couldn't resist!

o

LOL

o

Yep, the microfiber cloth with window cleaner worked nicely, too. I wouldn't use it with just water, I need to KNOW it's clean.

o

I agree with the microfiber. Plus, if you have a toddler, just spray the window with water, leave her with the microfiber cloth and she'll have fun for at least 10 minutes!! And it is safe :) Christy

o

I bought two microfiber cloths at the dollar store yesterday - a dollar each and they work wonders.

o

I use Windex.

o

After you get the windows clean (I've used a razor blade scraper...), apply Rain-X at doggie level. Future nose goo will bead up and roll off for months.

o

I had to laugh when I came across this!! I think I am the queen of having nose prints! We have a Bernese Mtn Dog and 2 boxers-- when they are outside, they are standing with their noses against the door begging to come in and if they are inside, they are standing with their noses pushed against the inside of the door begging to go out!!

We have French doors that have all 15 individual windows for each door. What I found that works the best for me is to mix a few drops of dishwashing detergent mixed in a small bucket of warm water. I use a microfiber cloth to wash the windows and then dry with another microfiber cloth. My biggest problem is the dogs lick the windows LOL The cleaner the windows are, the more they like to lick them!! The boxers are the worst!! But they have also taught the berner some of their bad habits LOL

o

And I thought we were the only ones with nose prints on patio doors and windows. Our "chowbrador" leaves not only nose prints, but also huge muddy streaks after a rain. I'm going to try my microfiber window cleaning cloths (from Solutions.com) tomorrow! ;-)

o

I think people who don't have drooly large dogs don't appreciate how tenacious dog nose and drool can be.

o

Another vote for plain old blue Windex.

o

Windex doesn't cut Boxer slobber :)

o

Windex doesn't cut Lab slobber either. LOL! Foam glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth does an okay job.

o

LOL and I thought it was only me. I tell everyone it is milk glass, saves time and windex.

o

Oven Cleaner does an AWESOME JOB!!! Spray let sit and wipe....

o

And we just have 2 little Jack Russells who leave nose prints everywhere in the house and cars...it still takes some elbow grease with Windex to get rid of them. I can imagine what some of the larger breeds would leave with their big noses!

o

I carefully read all you helpful comments and tried a few but finally came across the easiest method ever -and I'm a very lazy housewife. Chux make a product called a Magic Eraser that cleans the gunk off in 2 minutes! All you do is just add water and then wipe it off. Follow up with a window cleaner like Windex and hey presto - you can see through again. I love my German short haired pointers and now I can have easily cleaned windows too.

o

I carefully read all you helpful comments and tried a few but finally came across the easiest method ever -and I'm a very lazy housewife. Chux make a product called a Magic Eraser that cleans the gunk off in 2 minutes! All you do is just add water and then wipe it off. Follow up with a window cleaner like Windex and hey presto - you can see through again. I love my German short haired pointers and now I can have easily cleaned windows too.

o

We have a big golden retriever who loves to pant and hang out the window in the SUV and my other dog will sometimes put his nose on the windows in the car. It's awful!!! Especially if we go on a run and she is really letting it all hang out dripping everywhere. Since she loves the window down so she can hang out (just her head) it's all over the side of the car too. People with small dogs have no idea!!! It's a constant cleanup on aisle 5!!! But I love my big girl, she is such a sweetie. It could be worse. She is rather clean about herself otherwise. She just loves the SUV and going for long hot walks. We have lots of water for her in the car and we rest on our walks if she chases too many squirrels and wears herself out. Fun for us both but lots of noses and drool to clean up. Going to try the Kaboom since I've tried all the other things.

o

Sprayway Glass Cleaner ;-)

o

This is an old post, but I'll throw my two cents in here. I tried everything. Then I tried a microfiber cloth and a little water on it. The only thing that worked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here