Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting hair off clothes in washer/dryer?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 11:07

Short of brushing down every piece of clothing DD owns with a lint brush b4 putting it in the wash, how do I keep her hair from sticking to everybody else's clothes? I end up with hairballs in the washer and still have stuff coming out of the dryer with hair on them - DH is tired of having to pick it off his shirts and chinos!

We also have trouble with hair on the floor - carpets are OK, I don't have problem vacuuming it up (unlike my sister's hair, DD's is fine so never noticed it winding around roller brush, or my toes - and cutting off circulation!) But the tile and HW floors always have dust bunnies of hair around the baseboards - have to swiffer all the time. We even got a hairball stuck in wet paint low on the wall after painter came to touch up moving dings - now I have to skim and sand, repaint that area. DD just sheds like crazy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting hair off clothes in washer/dryer?

I would like to know the same thing except for cat hair. After I wash and dry my sheets there are still little clumps of fur on it.

PS: When my DD sheds too much I know it is time for haircut. Even just a trim will help.

o

She just had a trim - hair is just to her shoulder blades now. DH keeps asking her if she wants her summer buzz cut when DS gets his!

o

I used to be a dog groomer so lots of hair came home with me. I always give clothes a gentle shake before tossing them in the wash. Make sure the lint trap in the dryer is cleaned after each load. Toss in a microfiber cloth (I use the dishtowel size) and this will help trap any loose lint/strings/hair that are still on the clothes.

o

Do you wash the microfiner cloth with the clothes or just throw it in the dryer (afraid it will burn if it's dry - I always air-dry them after washing b/c I'm afraid they'll shrink)? Thanks.

o

I just toss mine in the dryer but I have run with the wash before. I don't worry about them shrinking. I buy the cheap dishtowel kind and cut them in 1/4.

o

We learned of the microfiber suggestion on this forum and have used it in our dryer several times so far. It really works well. Haven't used it in the washer, though.

o

I always use the loopy side of Velcro to remove hair from my tub drain, so....when I made the mistake of drying my cat bed in the dryer, I used the self adhesive Velcro (loopy side) to cover an old medicine bottle. I tossed the medicine bottle into the dryer and ran it for a short while. It did grab much of the cat hair, but not all.

o

I use a combination of things in my clothes dryer-I use one dryer sheet (any brand) plus "dryer balls", They are 2 plastic balls, like tennis balls but covered with points. They make noise bouncing in the dryer but keep the lint down. I had a huge lint problem when I accidentally washed a load of laundry with one of my husband's used Depends .(Luckily it was wet not soiled0 Tiny white paper balls ended up on everything. I found the dryer balls in a local hardware store. Plus I and my 2 daughters all have longish hair, plus one dog and 2 cats to add to the mix. Good luck finding a solution!

o
RE: Hair and Lint

I also read online that re-washing an item with vinegar added to the washer will help. You might want to try adding a little vin. to your laundry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here