Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

Rug Doctor Rental?

friedajune
17 years ago

I have a 9 x 12 rug that is stained. For such a small rug, I don't want to bother with professional cleaning. I am considering renting a Rug Doctor. I did a web search for product reviews, and found that some people loved their rental Rug Doctor, but others complained that the machine they rented was dirty from previous users, or didn't work well, or didn't dry well. The Rug Doctor is available near me at some nearby supermarkets, Home Depot, and a smaller hardware store. Does the source of the rental matter? Can someone give me feedback on their rental Rug Doctor experience? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• centralcacyclist
    17 years ago

I rented one not long ago. Yes it was a little dirty from the previous user but it didn't affect my use of it. I guess not everyone rinses out the used water container. It did a good job. I had some really dirty carpets in some rooms (kids and dog). For the cost, I'd do it again.

Mine came from my local grocery store.

FYI-I also rinsed the carpet. I went back over the cleaned areas with plain warm water and sucked up as much as I could.

• GammyT
    17 years ago

It depends on the allergies in your home. I couldn't rent one because if the previous renter had a pet that would be trouble.

For a 9x12 rug, what is it made of? If it isn't wool, and you have lawn chairs or something you can hang it from until it is dry. Washing it with water, a bit of laundry detergent and a scrub brush then a rinse is no different than if it would fit in your washing machine.

• gardenerman
    15 years ago

I actually ended up buying a Rug Doctor not to long ago. I love the convienance of having it around the house to use. Sometimes I get alittle lazy though and just feel like paying someone. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Doctor

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

If you plan to clean this rug occasionally, you might look into purchasing a small steam cleaner. I have a Hoover Steam Vac that does a great job, is easy to fill and empty, and wasn't all that expensive (under $200, as I remember). It is so convenient for small spills, also. The convenience of having it on hand and not having to go rent a cleaner is a consideration, too.

• LAS23
    14 years ago

I've used Rug Doctor a few times and always had good results. I rented from the supermarket and from Ace hardware. No differnce to me where it came from. I would do it again.

• flared0ne
    13 years ago

Just rented one of these (the narrower wheel base) for 24 hrs, and "cleaned house" -- several couches and chairs, the dining room set, several six-by-eight area rugs, and a living room (15' x 18') and dining room (12' x 18'). I am so sore...

The upholstery "tool" worked fairly well, although performance may vary -- watch out for irregularities that will catch on fabric. Work on establishing a steady motion, focusing on noticing the water the tool is picking up. It was also surprisingly useful for spot treatment of stains on carpeting.

The cleaning solution seems somewhat sensitive to water temperature: too cool, it doesn't work as well, but too hot can cause upholstery colorant and shrinkage problems. If you have any visible stains you may want to spring for a spot pre-treatment solution of one type or another.

Rug Doctor people: A water tank heater might be a nice (but tricky) addition, but the best "return on the cost of changing anything" would be to add an embedded translucent segment (remove the plastic colorant) where you could see through to check fluid level remaining in the tank. Also, you should document the following so people using the equipment don't have to "reinvent the wheel"...

After renting the machine, before you put any fluid in it, lay it on its side and get a feel for where the spray outlet, the rotary brushes, and the vacuum slot for water removal are located (ahhem: since you don't have a graphic which explains this). In particular, the vacuum pickup slot is at the "front" (except while you are using it, when the handle is in the lead). Knowing where things are will "inform" how you position the machine and where you start and stop the spray and brush action...

Biggest tip/suggestion I can give: adjust the handle so that it is LOWER than a line from your shoulders to the "front" bottom edge of the machine. Because if your grip on the handle is ABOVE that line, when you pull to move the machine you WILL tend to break contact between the vacuum slot and the carpet. Whereas if your grip on the handle is BELOW that line from your shoulder, pulling to move the machine tends to lift pressure off the wheels AND pushes the vacuum slot deeper into the carpet.

That ONE adjustment will result in picking up almost half-again as much water from the rug. And communicating that one discovery is why I'm here giving this feedback.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I've rented RDrs several times. from my local grocery store. The first time I rented, it had been beautifully cleaned by the previous user, and I had no trouble operating it. It was a little heavy, so I got tired fast. But it worked great. I did buy the detergent solution, anti-sudsing liquid and odor eliminator they sell. I did not pre-treat stains. Worked well, I did not do an extra vinegar rinse, as I had read was recommended by other users. The last couple of times I rented one, the previous users didn't do as good a job cleaning. I wiped off any visible dirt with paper towels and the Rug Drs worked just fine. I would rent again. Go for it.

• whitehead_rodney
    8 years ago

I rented a rug doctor on a Saturday night and I left it in my den until Sunday morning, when I plugged it in and turned it on cock roaches started coming out of the machine,I killed as many as I could but some got away,I contacted rug doctor and filed a complaint and 17 days after the rental Brietta Brown "claims coordinator/rug doctor " responded and said that my complaint was being denied. So now I have to pay an exterminator to come out and spray my house. I wouldn't recommend anyone to ever rent a rug doctor.

• beteacher
    8 years ago

I have used rug doctor many times with good results, but recently bought a Bessel that handles like a vacuum cleaner. Both did a good job. Ask at your grocery store what days the rep comes in and replaces or cleans the machines, that would guarantee a fresh one. You can pretty much tell by looking though if they are clean or not.

• Amal Moallin
    last year

Omg i have never submittes a reviewe of products or services , but i feel compelled to do so and warn others . i tented a pro cleaner along with the tools and also bought the most expence chemicals they have . renting was no problem , but when i got home i was ready to go however , the machine was not only dirty it dirty , it still contained the used water from the prevous owner . i i attempted to pour but before i could conplete removed its cover , i was met with the most horriible smell my nose has never been more offended. i called them to let them know , i would have retured it and got another but the rep was so rude never once apologizing , and refusing to givr me a discount for the wasteing my time and my gas . so i told them i would return it the folloeing day , she said fine and sent an email to confirm. after i returned everthing i was given a case number and told i woulf be full refunded . i called in to make sure and customer servies is now saying i cant get my refund because i keept it . she would not except the fact that i have a email confirm so , she proveeded to tell me they never send emails about refunding , i asked for a manger and was that none of them are availible and to call back so they could have time to email one . i gave them a full day . the rep was just as rude as the one befor , she had the nerve to tell me she didnt see anything about a refund because i kept the machine over night , so then i had go into my mail gave her the case number , once she pulled up the correct info she never say sirry ir admittinb her mistske , at this point i didnt care i just wanted my money, so she tell me i cant get a full refund because i has did not return thr chemicals , which i did , she moves on to say well i cant prove you did and i said what u mean i got an email confirming i did she responded by saying the chemicals are not locked in locker to which i said i know they where on top of the locker and i put it back exactly where i found it , she wanted

to argue back and forth and was getting and increasingly getting ruder and ruder , so ask for the manager and of course none was their . i was so upset that i told her to call the walmart i got the machine from , am sure it would be on a camera , thonk she woulld reconsider her stance , again she said she will email a manger and for me to call again . later that day i got an email that stated i woukd be full refunded , but when i look at actual amount, it was not a full refund , it was short the money for the chemicals, so am here thinking about calling them back idk if their bs and incompetance and unprofession behaviors , its only $ 23 , so i figure i would leave a review . so please avoid doing any business with rug doctor.