Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fandlil

Carpet Cleaner Rental??

fandlil
16 years ago

The carpet in my home office is about 5 years old and I've never had it cleaned, although I vacuum it regularly and nearly always walk in just my stocking feet of flip flops. Besides, it's not a high traffic area. Only now is it beginning to look like it needs to be cleaned.

Questions: If I decide to do it myself, which rental machine from a supermarket or elsewhere should I get or stay away from? I want something that's easy to use and that will dry in a day or so and does not use toxic chemicals.

It would be very disruptive to remove all the furniture in the room. I have 3 big bookcases, a full file cabinet, and an L-shaped desk that would be hard to take completely apart. I figure I can get to clean all the areas that have been exposed to foot traffic without moving the bookcases or file cabinet and maybe taking out just a part of the desk. Preparing the floor is a bigger job than cleaning it. If I refrain from removing all the furniture will I regret it some time later because there will be a difference in the cleaned and uncleaned carpet? I have a feeling the difference will appear anyway because the areas over the unmoved furniture are "protected" all these years. Any comments on this.

Finally, if I cannot find an acceptable rental machine, or decide it's too much for me to do it myself (I'm 72 years old), what should I look for in a carpet cleaning company? We had ChemDry in our bedroom a few years ago, and were not that impressed.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (4)