Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need cleaning HELP!

Posted by Joe_S (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 10:10

First off, I am glad I found this forum as I have already found some great advice.

I am sort of a neat freak, but admittedly a novice at cleaning, and I need some serious help. With the current economic climate, I have assumed the role of the house-husband, which has gotten me more hands on when it comes to cleaning the house. The problem is, I have no idea what products to use on certain things.

If anyone could help me fill the blanks, on what YOUR preferred product/tool is for cleaning the given area. I am going to list what I am currently doing, and if you see something I can do better PLEASE help me..lol

1. Tile- Any tips here, for keeping tile clean/dust/hair free, and what tools are best? I have been dust mopping(rubbermade) mid week, and vacuuming/wet mopping once a week on cleaning day. When wet mop I use water, and a cap full of rubbing alcohol. Any tips and tricks here, or better mops/dust mops would be appreciated. I feel like I could be missing something in this area.

2. Granite counters- I have been using alcohol/water mix, with micro-fiber cloth

3. Acrylic/Faux stone showers. What do you use post showering to keep things clean? What do you use for weekly cleaning?

4. Bathroom counters/chrome faucets- Not sure what to use here

5. Wood furniture- I am lost here as well.

6. I have plantation shutters. I have been using a swifter duster. It is pretty time consuming, but not sure there is anything better.

7. Base boards. What do you use to clean baseboards?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need cleaning HELP!

Answer to number 6 and 7 wont save you time but it is the best method, Vaucuum vacuum vacuum, dusting and swifting just throws most of the dust back up in the air.
For most everything else, I use a steam cleaner(not wood on wood furniture).. Steam cleaning kills germs and bacteria and uses no chemicals.

o

Agree on the vacuum. Or a damp cloth.

Go to your local library and get either "Home Comforts" by Cheryl Mendelson or Martha Stewart's "Home Keeping Handbook"

Btw, vinegar is another choice for tile and counters. Don't use it on the wood though unless you know what finish it is - acidic things aren't good for certain wood finishes. Same goes for alcohol - it will basically dissolve a shellac finish.

To clean baseboards: I vacuum using the crevice tool first. Once a month or so, I wipe them down - a bucket of hot water with a splash of Mrs Meyers all-purpose cleaner (my cleaner of choice, it's smells divine and works like a dream, Method Diluteable Cleaner is also nice. A little goes a long way with both of them, so they're more economical than you'd think.) Avoid Murphy's Oil Soap like the plague.

o

Thanks for the tips. Which vacuum attachment would you recommend for the shutters? I didn't think that would pull the dust off.

They don't get overly dusty as I do them every week also.

I will try the vacuum for the baseboards too.

o

Do you have a little dusting brush attachment?

o

I think so. I have the one that came with my Vacuum. Maybe I will look into getting this one though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush

o

A hand held steamer is good for sanitizing. As for wood furniture, I never spray furniture polish on the wood; spray a little on a microfiber cloth & dust your furniture (I like the Guardsman no wax). As for cleaning blinds, shutters, ceiling fans & baseboard, the California Dusters work great (I have a large & small one)purchased mine at an auto supply store (but I think Walmart has them as well).

o

Thanks for giving these nice cleaning tips and suggestions so that every one could get help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here