Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help, how to keep white tile floors clean

Posted by mellyc123 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 9:58

I have lots of white tile that is not smooth. Within a day or two of mopping the floor will look really dirty, like someone took a light brown crayon and rubbed all over it. In the heavy traffic areas this only takes a few hours. The only cleaners that work are clorox or pinesol with a lot of elbow grease. (Vinegar does not work at all). I havent tried norwex mops, these floors take so much effort now I cant imagine they would work.
Should I put some type of wax or sealer down? I have had tiles in mnay homes and it has never been this difficult to keep clean, even white. i also have cordless dyson that we use at least every other day.
I am worried about slipping if I put something like wax down.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help, how to keep white tile floors clean

Sounds like you have a matt finish unsealed tile.

When you drop water on the tile, does it absorb the liquid fast or does it sit on top? This will indicate whether tile has a sealed finish. Water will sit on top of a sealed surface.

Sealing a porous tile does not usually make it slippery.

o

they do not absorb the water, they have a shine to them, they are just so uneven on the surface that them seem to grab all dirt.

o

I'm assuming we are talking about ceramic tile?

If I had your problem, I would consider area rugs or runners for the heavily traveled pathways OR using a steam cleaner in place of the cleaning products. The steamer isn't going to keep the floors cleaner, but it is easier to use, IMO.

Actually it might help keep the floor cleaner if the cleaning products you are now using are staying on the tile and are causing dirt to adhere to the tiles. The steamer uses only water, so there's nothing left behind.

Get a good steamer, a canister model, not a steam mop. And be prepared to use it repeatedly at first to remove the cleaning product residue. It can take some work before you get the gunk out of the tiny crevices of the tile. I did this recently on a not-smooth tile floor belonging to a friend of mine. I kept going over one small area, changing out the steam cleaner's cloth (I use microfiber). I did an area that was 3 feet by 3 feet and I went through 3 cloths (microfiber) until no more dirt came off.

o

I keep my bathroom tile floor clean with Rejuvenate Tile and Grout Cleaner. I found it at the hardware store. Works great on the tile but my grout is permanently stained gray. Whatever happens, Good Luck to you!

o

I use a bleach cleaner on my white bathroom ,I wet area soap it up use brush,rinse good,its nice white just did mine.I was told once wash with like pinesol it has oils in it so tile grout doesnt dry out

o

Another who suspects you have a build up of cleaners....get the floor really clean....rinse and rinse again and they should stay....unless you have a situation where paople have sticky stuff on their shoes.

o

Alcohol/water (50/50) works great. Put some in a spray bottle. Spray floor and then use wet mop to mop the floors. No rinsing needed and no residue left on the floor. Floors dry fast too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here