Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning walls with BM Aura matte paint?

Posted by nyrgirl35 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 8:53

I used BM aura matte paint in my living room and hallway. My hall way is really taking a beating with the kids and dog being its a narrow hallway which is my entry way. Every time I try and clean the walls you can see where I cleaned them. It says this high end paint even though matte is highly scrubbable, so does anyone have better tips on how clean with this paint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning walls with BM Aura matte paint?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it really can't be scrubbed. I have Aura throughout my home, mostly darker colors. I have found that it always leaves a noticeable area where you clean it. I also have never been able to touch it up but that could be because of the darker paint. The same goes for the eggshell finish. Have never understood why they say it's scrubbable.
Maybe someone else has had a different experience and will chime in.

o

Ok thanks thought maybe I was doing something wrong. My color is also a dark color and not that I really need to scrub I only need to wipe it down but u can still see where I cleaned.

o

I have walls painted with Aura but haven't needed to scrub them yet. But, I've had the eggshell finish on almost every wall in the house and haven't had any problems scrubbing them. What are you using to scrub?

o

I'm using just soap and water!

o

I can't clean my lousy paint with anything, the coat is so thin it wipes off leaving sheet rock paper.

o

Maybe your soap is leaving a residue? I have BM aura matte and I have wiped it with Mr Clean Magic Eraser super super lightly (for marks) and used just water and i can't see where i wiped. My color isn't dark though, its a tan/gold color.

Maybe try rewiping very evenly over the whole area with just water and see if it will even out?

o

Maybe your soap is leaving a residue? I have BM aura matte and I have wiped it with Mr Clean Magic Eraser super super lightly (for marks) and used just water and i can't see where i wiped. My color isn't dark though, its a tan/gold color.

Maybe try rewiping very evenly over the whole area with just water and see if it will even out?

o

For minor scuffs and odd fingerprints just use a magic eraser with just water and squeeze it out. Wipe and done. Not many painted wall surfaces can handle massive filth. And soap will leave a residue. Using a satin-semi gloss surface in high traffic areas will help the washing as it is a harder surface. Flat or matte is more porous microscopically. Though flat is much more beautiful as it 'absorbs' light and has a softer finish. A glossy surface, more durable, is harder to apply and shows all imperfections and has a problem of 'bouncing', reflecting light. Entryways, hallways, and mud-rooms can benefit from a simple wainscoting to absorb the bangs a bumps. My big dogs have beat up an area in my hall where they run and zoom and fuss with each other. It is just a 8 ft area between the common bath and guest room...
I just re-paint once a year or two in that area. Quick. Mask off and roll...1/2 hour.
(if you think microscopically, you are scrubbing off the upper tooth of the paint finish like sanding...it will harden and solidify the finish. Sort of like buffing it. With or without soap...hence the different finish you see by the raking light and odd surface differences.)
One trick i have used is BennyMoore 'floor and patio' paint in their satin finish for trim and lower walls. It has a soft finish like vintage oil paint. Creamy and smooth. Very durable for problem areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here