Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Cleaning walls with BM Aura matte paint?

nyrgirl35
10 years ago

I used BM aura matte paint in my living room and hallway. My hall way is really taking a beating with the kids and dog being its a narrow hallway which is my entry way. Every time I try and clean the walls you can see where I cleaned them. It says this high end paint even though matte is highly scrubbable, so does anyone have better tips on how clean with this paint?

Comments (8)

• sis2two
    10 years ago

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it really can't be scrubbed. I have Aura throughout my home, mostly darker colors. I have found that it always leaves a noticeable area where you clean it. I also have never been able to touch it up but that could be because of the darker paint. The same goes for the eggshell finish. Have never understood why they say it's scrubbable.
    Maybe someone else has had a different experience and will chime in.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok thanks thought maybe I was doing something wrong. My color is also a dark color and not that I really need to scrub I only need to wipe it down but u can still see where I cleaned.

• julie999
    10 years ago

I have walls painted with Aura but haven't needed to scrub them yet. But, I've had the eggshell finish on almost every wall in the house and haven't had any problems scrubbing them. What are you using to scrub?

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm using just soap and water!

• emma
    10 years ago

I can't clean my lousy paint with anything, the coat is so thin it wipes off leaving sheet rock paper.

• Erin
    10 years ago

Maybe your soap is leaving a residue? I have BM aura matte and I have wiped it with Mr Clean Magic Eraser super super lightly (for marks) and used just water and i can't see where i wiped. My color isn't dark though, its a tan/gold color.

Maybe try rewiping very evenly over the whole area with just water and see if it will even out?

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

For minor scuffs and odd fingerprints just use a magic eraser with just water and squeeze it out. Wipe and done. Not many painted wall surfaces can handle massive filth. And soap will leave a residue. Using a satin-semi gloss surface in high traffic areas will help the washing as it is a harder surface. Flat or matte is more porous microscopically. Though flat is much more beautiful as it 'absorbs' light and has a softer finish. A glossy surface, more durable, is harder to apply and shows all imperfections and has a problem of 'bouncing', reflecting light. Entryways, hallways, and mud-rooms can benefit from a simple wainscoting to absorb the bangs a bumps. My big dogs have beat up an area in my hall where they run and zoom and fuss with each other. It is just a 8 ft area between the common bath and guest room...
    I just re-paint once a year or two in that area. Quick. Mask off and roll...1/2 hour.
    (if you think microscopically, you are scrubbing off the upper tooth of the paint finish like sanding...it will harden and solidify the finish. Sort of like buffing it. With or without soap...hence the different finish you see by the raking light and odd surface differences.)
    One trick i have used is BennyMoore 'floor and patio' paint in their satin finish for trim and lower walls. It has a soft finish like vintage oil paint. Creamy and smooth. Very durable for problem areas.