Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fotostat

Cleaning bathroom exhaust fans (Panasonic)

fotostat
16 years ago

How do you clean your Panasonic exhaust fan? I don't smoke so there isn't that horribly funky sticky mess like at my old house when I used to smoke. I just have the general dust and crap that sticks to everything up inside the fan.

What do you do to clean it?

Comments (16)

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I use the round brush attachment of my vacuum cleaner.

• fotostat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's what i tried, but there are so many areas that the brush doesn't get into (the actual fan squirrel cage for example) and they are just covered in crap.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Before I started mucking around the inside of the fan, I would contact Panasonic and see what they recommend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic

• eteinne
    15 years ago

I use mini vac attachements which are sold to clean computers. The set comes with a short flexible hose, straight and curved wand, oval dust brush, round brush, and a mini crevice tool. Just attach this hose to your vac hose and you are all set. Just type Mini Vac Attachements and there are many sites which sell them. The set is $10 or $11 if I remember.

• fotostat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I contacted Panasonic explaining how I couldn't get the exhaust fan clean with just my vacuum and sponges and asked their advice, here is the lame response I got back:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The general recommended method is to use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust that may collect. If that is not sufficient, you can use a clothe that is dampened to further clean the unit. You could even go so far as removing the fan housing to get into the hard to reach areas."

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Reading between the lines, they are telling you that there isn't any way for the consumer to clean the product beyond what you can access.

If you are really determined, you could disconnect it, unscrew it from its mounting, take it down and clean it with a moist cloth.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Never tried this, but how about trying one of those canned air things like we use on our computers and such? Maybe that would blow it clean or at least cleaner. Hmmm, wonder if mine need to be cleaned too? Not something I've ever thought to check. Luvs

• bkaapcke
    9 years ago

An air compressor with a small nozzle "blow gun" attachment does a real good job in about one minute. Replace the vent cover and vacuum the bathroom floor. You are done. bk

• emma
    9 years ago

Take the cover off and see if it is plugged into an ordinary outlet. If it is unplug it and remove it so you can clean more comfortably. I mentioned to an electrician who was hanging a new light fixture for me, that it doesn't work anymore. He check the wiring and it was getting power, then he told me it would cost me around $100. to replace if he did it. He said the fan unit costs around $10 and showed me how to replace it myself. Just pay attention to the slots that it fits in when you take it out.

There are video instructions to do things like this on the internet that helped me. I also googled removing the hair from the sink drain and found a video. Both jobs very easy.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Thu, May 29, 14 at 20:03

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

EmmaR, I have a Panasonic Whisper Warm that is 7 years old. It's not so "whisper" anymore. Have you bought this "fan unit" and if so, where? Do you have a link to video instructions. I LOVED this fan and it's still quiet by most standards but it's not as quiet or as efficient as it used to be.
    Thanks!

• emma
    9 years ago

I bought it at plumbing supply store. It is not quiet and I don't like any I have ever had because of the noise they make. I don't use it for showering to noisy. My unit is a very small fan and motor.

These are not individual sites, but a page of them. One of the pages is for the fan the other is for fan and installing. That fan is expensive and installs differently than a reg unit does. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=sslinstal

Here is a link that might be useful: panasonic whisper warm fan

• emma
    9 years ago

Here is a photo and and instructions for installing a reg exhaust fan. The one in the video is different than mine, scroll down for a view of what mine is like. On the second small picture you can see the plug.

Here is a link that might be useful: The $10 fan

• emma
    9 years ago

I've never ever cleaned one of them and this is the only one I have had go bad. I think it was faulty when the builder put it in.

I don't think they need to be cleaned they suck air up so it's not going to blow anything dirty into the bathroom. The air is not greasy like a kitchen exhaust.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 20:09

• andreiwright
    9 years ago

You do it by vacuuming the grill then draw the grill down and take it a way. Now you have the grill wash it by detergent soap in your sink or anywhere then air dry it then finally return it back. Easy right?

• Robert Summers
    7 years ago

I used a 9mm bronze pistol brush. It fits between the fins and gets the crud off