Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need these mops? Tell me about yours

Posted by suz_natural (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 3:27

Inventorying my laundry room storage needs, I realized that I very rarely use my two Vileda mops (Bee sponge type and the Twist one). I use the Swiffer WetJet for the kitchen tile floor and store it upstairs. Downstairs is carpet. So, why am I keeping two mops in my laundry room downstairs? How essential are these types of mops in a household? Whoa. Big questions. Good thing this forum exists to enable research-obsessive types like me get through these life issues. And what do I find here? Enough posts raving about steam cleaners and mops with washable microfiber cloths to make my re-evaluate all my floor cleaning methods!

If you're using a steam mop or a microfiber one, do you also use a regular one? If so, what do you use it for? (I use old towels for big spills.) Can my tile floor get clean with a more eco-friendly method than the WetJet? Should I be using a steam mop for my hardwood? (I just vacuum it and spot clean areas.)

What's a girl to do?! (Mops aren't the biggest storage dilemmas, I know - just install those wall rubber grip gizmos - but my laundry area is pretty tight and I'd rather use the wall space for something much prettier.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need these mops? Tell me about yours

It is not a bad idea to keep a regular mop around for disaster cleanup - washing machine hose breaks, hot water heater leaks, etc. Since you have them, keep at least one somewhere in the house or garage.

We had a break in the line of the basement toilet ejector system. I will spare you the details.

o

Thanks for your reply, Graywings. You're absolutely right. Disaster cleanup! Duh, of course, I need a mop. How could I forget its merits when I used the squeegee bee mop not long ago when the toilet overflowed? Even with gloves, I wasn't about to pick up dirty rags off the floor that time! Just goes to show that over-thinking storage issues when insomnia hits can result in silly questions. I'll find a spot for it in the garage.

o

I have also used a sponge mop for wiping high on the shower wall and for washing walls before painting....after wall paper removal.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here