Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning hard water stains

Posted by cymraes (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 0:25

Is there any way to remove hard water scum from around faucets? I would prefer something natural (vinegar, etc.), but am to the point where I will use anything! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning hard water stains

Thanks for raising this issue. I live in Tucson, Arizona, where the water is hard beyond belief, and I have hard water stains all over the place. No chemicals that I have found in various hardware or home-improvement stores work on this, and vinegar is hopeless. I have a professional window washer coming on Friday, and I am hoping he can clue me in to some magic formula. If so, I will tell all!

o

Limeaway or CLR, use with lots of patience. I've been able to knock the encrustation loose with a wooden stick after liberally applying either cleaner and letting it 'soak'. If the air is very dry, I've put a rag over everything to keep it wet. The wood won't scratch the way metal might.

o

If you are going to use CLR or Limeaway, but prefer to use less chemicals, you might as well be using vinegar. I have cleaned some thick, stubborn heavy buildup with the stuff in bathrooms and kitchens, including shower glass, coffee pot, dishwasher....The key is soaking it for a while and having some patience. Try soaking a cloth in vinegar and leaving it on your faucets for at least an hour. The toothbrush is an excellent tool for getting at hard to reach spots when it is time to scrub...it will not scratch surface.

o

We have awful hard water stains on our bath fixtures (especially showerheads) out here in Nevada too. NOTHING worked for me until I tried a very, very thick paste of lemon juice and baking soda. Mix it so it is a thick paste and apply it to your faucets with an old toothbrush. Let it sit for about an hour, then scrub and rinse. You might have to repeat a few times, but it does get them clean, and all-naturally at that. Hope this helps, and good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here