Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maks_2000

Heat Marks on Kitchen Aid Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop

maks_2000
11 years ago

When we remodeled our kitchen (completed 3 years ago) I found a great deal on a Kitchen Aid 36" SS Cooktop (KGCS166GSS) & could not resist buying it. I later read that KA recommended NOT canning on it since long, high temperature cook times would cause the SS to discolor. There seemed to be no way to remove the discoloration. Since I do not can I felt I was safe & stuck with my decision. Unfortunately after using the cooktop for several months I found that since I did use the high BTU boiling burner a lot my SS was becoming discolored. When I read the manual KA was recommending "moving pots from burner to burner" when cooking for longer periods. Once I began moving the pots around the cooktop was beginning to look crummy & my normal cleaning was not taking care of it.

I have discovered Penny Brite! -- apparently a copper cookware cleaner. A newspaper reader in Atlanta asked where we might purchase it since Wolff had recommended it to clean her SS gas cooktop. I bought & feel like I have experienced a miracle. The paste recommends rubbing in circles, but with SS I rubbed with the grain. My cooktop looks like new! In Atlanta it can be found at the Cooks Warehouse locations around town (4) for $4.99. I thought I might purchase on-line, but discovered the cost tends to be $6.50+ with an equal amount of shipping. I wanted to share since there had been some discussions at the time I purchased. I was unable to find those threads. I have also cross-posted on the Appliances thread.